Topics

Rear Ratio

Ken Acheson

Is there more than 1 gear ratio for 48 CD as I can only get 36 miles per hour top speed

Butch

All of the 4 cylinder cars, ran the same rear gear ratio (5.17 as I recall). If you can only get 36 MPH, something is wrong, either your speedometer is way off or your engine is very tired or quite out of tune.

For most cars, with decent engines, 50 to 60, is quite doable, but the engine is really "buzzing" along.

Butch

On 6/8/2018 8:29 PM, Ken Acheson wrote:
Is there more than 1 gear ratio for 48 CD as I can only get 36 miles per hour top speed
_._,_.

Are you stuck in second gear? An engine that is running right can do over 40 in 2nd gear at around 7000 rpm.

If the engine is not raving up properly you may have a timing problem.

Jim...

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:43 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

All of the 4 cylinder cars, ran the same rear gear ratio (5.17 as I recall). If you can only get 36 MPH, something is wrong, either your speedometer is way off or your engine is very tired or quite out of tune.

For most cars, with decent engines, 50 to 60, is quite doable, but the engine is really "buzzing" along.

Butch

On 6/8/2018 8:29 PM, Ken Acheson wrote:
Is there more than 1 gear ratio for 48 CD as I can only get 36 miles per hour top speed
_._,_.

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

It is rare to see,  but there was a restrictor plate for warranty reasons when new.  Only other ratio I have seen is 5.55 to 1 in a prewar and listing in for 4.70 to 1 I would like to have.
      bye    Robert

In a message dated 6/8/2018 8:30:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, jesse@... writes:

Is there more than 1 gear ratio for 48 CD as I can only get 36 miles per hour top speed

L.E. Hardee

Back in my High School days, when I was crazy, I pegged my 52 wagon speedometer at 70 mph.  The car was bouncing like an airplane just before lift off.  And that was on 15 year old Goodyear super cushion cotton belted bias ply tires.  Now I get uncomfortable at 50 mph on modern tires.

BTW, I have a bunch on those restrictor plates if anyone needs one for their collection.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 7:50 AM, A50CROSLEYTRK via Groups.Io <A50CROSLEYTRK@...> wrote:
It is rare to see,  but there was a restrictor plate for warranty reasons when new.  Only other ratio I have seen is 5.55 to 1 in a prewar and listing in for 4.70 to 1 I would like to have.
      bye    Robert

In a message dated 6/8/2018 8:30:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, jesse@... writes:

Is there more than 1 gear ratio for 48 CD as I can only get 36 miles per hour top speed

seb fontana

Something is real wrong and its not the gear ratio although there are a couple if someone has changed the rear in the past they are not different enough to limit you too 36! What is the engine rpm?

crosleyshortsport

L.E. Hardee,   I am not sure where the restricter plate would go, however I could use one on my FarmOroad to keep my kid from running the snot out of it !
Jeffrey Ackerman

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018, 3:24 PM seb fontana via Groups.Io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Something is real wrong and its not the gear ratio although there are a couple if someone has changed the rear in the past they are not different enough to limit you too 36! What is the engine rpm?

fred@...

Edited

Ken, as Butch stared there probably is something wrong, but perhaps there was a restrictor plate in that truck.  A good Crosley motor will pull over 5000 RPM in 3rd gear, producing at least 60 MPH.  Weight of special bodied Crosleys also will restrict speed.  Read all about Ken's restoration in the Summer CROSLEY Quarterly, in your mailbox sometime next week!

Jim Bollman

It goes under the carburetor and restricts the size of the opening in the bottom of the carb and blocks the throttle from opening all the way. I have seen them for the Tilly not sure if they also had them on the Carter.

Jim...

On Jun 9, 2018, at 5:30 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

L.E. Hardee,   I am not sure where the restricter plate would go, however I could use one on my FarmOroad to keep my kid from running the snot out of it !
Jeffrey Ackerman

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018, 3:24 PM seb fontana via Groups.Io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Something is real wrong and its not the gear ratio although there are a couple if someone has changed the rear in the past they are not different enough to limit you too 36! What is the engine rpm?

L.E. Hardee

The restrictor plate went between the carb and the intake manifold.  It only had a opening that you could barely stick the tip of your little finger into.  It was meant to be taken out by the dealer after the engine was broken in a bit, maybe 100 miles or so.  My local dealer kept EVERYTHING!!  So I have the restrictor plate from every Crosley he every sold.  Look down your carb.  If you can see down into your intake manifold, you don't have a restrictor plate issue.  Could the timing be so retarded that the car can't get up to speed?

If I wanted to keep my kid from dogging my Crosley, I would simply tie or chain the throttle linkage to keep the gas from being opened too much.  Use a padlock so you can open it up for your use??

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 5:56 PM, <fred@...> wrote:
Ken, as Butch stared there probably is something wrong, but perhaps there was a restrictor plate in that truck.  A good Crosley motor will pull over 5000 RPM in 3rd gear, producing at least 60 MPH.  Weight of special bodied Crosleys also will restrict speed.

Richard Williams

Restrictor plate goes between the carburetor and intake manifold. Reduces air intake to the engine.