Topics

Rear axle nut tightness

David Reina

Hi Gang,

How tight should the rear axle nuts be tightened to. Its a castellated nut soda we go as tight as we can and try to line up a slot for the cotter pin, or do we tighten and then back off to the nearest cotter pin slot? I’m working on a 47 CC Sedan.

Thanks,
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

Mike

I too would like to know as i got my rear diff disassembled. I couldn't find anything in the service manual.

Plandersen

You tighten to snug and back off to the nearest hole.  Other wise it will run hot.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Mike via Groups.Io <seller432@...> wrote:

I too would like to know as i got my rear diff disassembled. I couldn't find anything in the service manual.

Butch

Dave,

I've got a spec here, somewhere. I'll do some searching for it.

"You tighten to snug and back off to the nearest hole.  Other wise it will run hot."

INCORRECT! This holds the drum/hub to the axle, nothing to do with an adjustment or running hot.

You "approach the slot", once it's tight, you absolutely do NOT want to back it off, without removing the drum and starting over.

Butch

On 6/7/2018 6:00 PM, David Reina via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Gang,

How tight should the rear axle nuts be tightened to. Its a castellated nut soda we go as tight as we can and try to line up a slot for the cotter pin, or do we tighten and then back off to the nearest cotter pin slot? I’m working on a 47 CC Sedan.

Thanks,
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

David Reina

Thanks Butch.

David Reina

Thanks again Butch. My friend was helping when we got to this part of completing the brake job and he was thinking that the rules of adjusting the front drums applied. I know that the back wheel bearings are adjusted with shims behind the backing plate. I’ll get on it today and try tightening it to a slot position.

Regards,
Dave

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
347-482-4657

On Jun 7, 2018, at 7:56 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dave & Gang,

From page 9 in the service manual (at least the edition that I'm using), 5/8" X 11 or 18, 880 - 1300 inch pounds or 73 - 110 foot pounds.

I always "sneak up on it", initially taking it up to about 80 FT. Pounds, then slowly advancing until I can install the cotter key.

Make SURE that you do NOT install the axle key, until AFTER the drum is pushed back on to the axle, absolutely NOT before! I'm dealing with a cracked drum/hub right now, in my service bay. The most common cause it, inserting the key in the axle slot, then pushing the drum on. The drum sleeves are not all that substantial to begin with, improper installation is an almost sure way to break them.

Also, make sure that the axle and hub "sleeve" area, are clean and dry, no oil or Locktite!

Hope that this helps someone,

Butch

On 6/8/2018 11:02 AM, David Reina via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Wow Butch. More really helpful information. I did install a drum yesterday with the key in place. Hope I didn’t crack the hub. My son helped check on the internet whether or not to lube the taper of the axle and the hole in the drum. In the end we cleaned them up with acetone and installed. However I did do the key incorrectly. I might pop it off again and install the key as you describe.

Regards,
Dave

David Reina Designs, Inc.
245 Kent Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11249
phone: 718 486-0262
fax: 718 599-7857

On Jun 15, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave & Gang,

From page 9 in the service manual (at least the edition that I'm using), 5/8" X 11 or 18, 880 - 1300 inch pounds or 73 - 110 foot pounds.

[...]

I don't know if it would be better to remove and reinstall or not. If it's going to crack, my guess is that it would be immediate at installation.

It might be best, to remove & inspect, then handle accordingly. However, sometimes, "ignorance is bliss".

Butch

On 6/15/2018 12:18 PM, David Reina via Groups.Io wrote:
Wow Butch. More really helpful information. I did install a drum yesterday with the key in place. Hope I didn’t crack the hub. My son helped check on the internet whether or not to lube the taper of the axle and the hole in the drum. In the end we cleaned them up with acetone and installed. However I did do the key incorrectly. I might pop it off again and install the key as you describe.

Regards,
Dave

David Reina Designs, Inc.
245 Kent Ave.