Topics

Real Axle Shackle Position

jeff

I am putting my 1948 Crosley back together and cannot remember if the rear axle goes above the spring eye, or below the spring eye.  Which is correct?  The attached photo shows the rear axle installed above the spring eye.

Thanks
Jeff

Jim Liberty

On my '47 PU it is above.    .....Jim.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:22 AM jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:
I am putting my 1948 Crosley back together and cannot remember if the rear axle goes above the spring eye, or below the spring eye.  Which is correct?  The attached photo shows the rear axle installed above the spring eye.

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments:

Tim Hamblen

As in the picture. The other way stresses the springs and shackles. We've all seen them the wrong way and it just looks goofy.

jeff

Thanks to all who explained that the shackle configuration in my photo is correct.   Since I am moving in a couple months I am trying to complete the restoration of a Gasporter so I can sell it before I move.

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

Tim Hamblen

The wrong way can also when hitting a big bump, drive the whole drive train forward, breaking motor mounts and running the fan into the radiator.

parkhunter@...

Edited

I made the sad mistake of installing the spring over the axle when first assembling my car. In my defense, the car came fully disassembled, so I had no model to go on.

I thought it sat high in back, but assumed that was because it didn’t have the weight of the gas tank, glass, spare tire, etc. yet.

Then I took my middle school son and his three large friends for a ride around the block. We went over a bump and CRUNCH! The whole car settled, the shifter moved forward, and we coasted the last 20 yards to the garage.

As Tim said, the stress popped the motor mounts and shoved the whole driveline forward. I’m lucky it didn’t make a hole in the radiator, but the fan did crease all the cooling fins over in a circular pattern.

Yikes. Don’t do that.

-Park

jeff

Park, a few people on this list told me that the correct way is to install the spring higher than the rear axle, as shown in the attached photo.   And you are saying not to install the spring over the rear axle.

Which is correct?

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

I made the sad mistake of installing the spring over the axle when first assembling my car. In my defense, the car came fully disassembled, so I had no model to go on.

I thought it sat high in back, but assumed that was because it didn’t have the weight of the gas tank, glass, spare tire, etc. yet.

Then I took my middle school son and his three large friends for a ride around the block. We went over a bump and CRUNCH! The whole car settled, the shifter moved forward, and we coasted the last 20 yards to the garage.

As Tim said, the stress popped the motor mounts and shoved the whole driveline forward. I’m lucky it didn’t make a hole in the radiator, but the fan did crease all the cooling fins over in a circular pattern.

Yikes. Don’t do that.

-Park

jeff

Never mind, the spring in the attached photo is under the axle.

Please disregard my earlier post.

Sent from my jphone

I made the sad mistake of installing the spring over the axle when first assembling my car. In my defense, the car came fully disassembled, so I had no model to go on.

I thought it sat high in back, but assumed that was because it didn’t have the weight of the gas tank, glass, spare tire, etc. yet.

Then I took my middle school son and his three large friends for a ride around the block. We went over a bump and CRUNCH! The whole car settled, the shifter moved forward, and we coasted the last 20 yards to the garage.

As Tim said, the stress popped the motor mounts and shoved the whole driveline forward. I’m lucky it didn’t make a hole in the radiator, but the fan did crease all the cooling fins over in a circular pattern.

Yikes. Don’t do that.

-Park

Jim Liberty

I'm new to the Crosley world, but have been restoring 356 Porsches for decades. Whatever story you guys tell, I've done much worse.         ........................Jim

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM <parkhunter@...> wrote:

I made the sad mistake of installing the spring over the axle when first assembling my car. In my defense, the car came fully disassembled, so I had no model to go on.

I thought it sat high in back, but assumed that was because it didn’t have the weight of the gas tank, glass, spare tire, etc. yet.

Then I took my middle school son and his three large friends for a ride around the block. We went over a bump and CRUNCH! The whole car settled, the shifter moved forward, and we costed the last 20 yards to the garage.

As Tim said, the stress popped the motor mounts and shoved the whole driveline forward. I’m lucky it didn’t make a hole in the radiator, but the fan did create all the cooling fins over in a circular pattern.

Yikes. Don’t do that.

-Park