Prewar Conv sedan fuel filler neck Grommet

James Dlapa

Hi all, does anyone know where to buy a fuel filler neck grommet for a prewar with rear mounted tank?

Or what application from another brand may work?

I did not see any on the vendors web pages listed. They do have a bit of offset.

Any help would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance

Joe Brownsberger

Looking at service motors web page on my laptop. Under " body & frame grommets" for me its down 3 rows on the right side of the web page, next to the frame body webbing. Like all things I'm finding though, it may just be cheaper to goto napa or your local hardware store. They have it listed for $19...

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 10:36 PM James Dlapa <crosley1980@...> wrote:

Hi all, does anyone know where to buy a fuel filler neck grommet for a prewar with rear mounted tank?

Or what application from another brand may work?

I did not see any on the vendors web pages listed. They do have a bit of offset.

Any help would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance

James Dlapa

Hi Joe, Thank you but these look to be for postwar cars. The prewars with rear mounted tank have a 3” hole in the body, a 2” filler neck and a bit of an offset.

Thank you for the thought though.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 11:19 AM Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:
Looking at service motors web page on my laptop. Under " body & frame grommets" for me its down 3 rows on the right side of the web page, next to the frame body webbing. Like all things I'm finding though, it may just be cheaper to goto napa or your local hardware store. They have it listed for $19...

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 10:36 PM James Dlapa <crosley1980@...> wrote:

Hi all, does anyone know where to buy a fuel filler neck grommet for a prewar with rear mounted tank?

Or what application from another brand may work?

I did not see any on the vendors web pages listed. They do have a bit of offset.

Any help would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance

Jeffrey Gladden

James,

Here is a shot of the rubber around my 80 MGB filler neck.  It is 2 1/4” ID and 3 3/8” OD.  It has an angle to it.  Might be close to the angle on my 39 Coupe.

On Jun 6, 2021, at 2:29 PM, James Dlapa <crosley1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jeff, that looks promising. I will give it a  try.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Jeffrey Gladden <jsgladden@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

James Dlapa

Hi all,
Well I got the fuel tank filler neck grommet for the 41 conv sedan. From the picture Jeff provided of his 1978-80 MGB fuel filler neck  I went ahead and ordered one.

With a bit of modification ( mainly drum sanding the inner diameter a bit with a 2” drum sander it fits fairly well. Though there is a bit of a gap on the bottom, I think it will settle in fine.

If someone is looking for one and does not have a better alternative this may be something to consider.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 4:05 PM James Dlapa via groups.io <crosley1980=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim Liberty

As a good friend in the 356 world used to say "Necessity is a MOTHER". That was Harry Pellow.    .....Jim.