Topics

Plug on the rear differential

James Hudson

Hello, I'm posting this question after searching the Crosley Service Manual and this forum without success. I'm trying to check the gear oil level in the differential on my 52 Wagon and find that the gas tank is so close to the differential that it's obscuring the plug. There's about an inch between the plug and the tank. Is there a special tool for this? (I can't fit my large Allen wrench . Do I cut down an existing tool? Am I supposed to drop the gas tank? Thank you for your help.
Jim Hudson

Butch

No special tool, if you jack the car up a little, by the frame, not the rear axle, it should give you plenty of clearance to remove the plug.

Butch

On 6/9/2019 11:26 PM, James Hudson wrote:
Hello, I'm posting this question after searching the Crosley Service Manual and this forum without success. I'm trying to check the gear oil level in the differential on my 52 Wagon and find that the gas tank is so close to the differential that it's obscuring the plug. There's about an inch between the plug and the tank. Is there a special tool for this? (I can't fit my large Allen wrench . Do I cut down an existing tool? Am I supposed to drop the gas tank? Thank you for your help.
Jim Hudson
_._,_._,

Butch, is, of course, correct on raising the car up, ao the gas tank is out of your way. I have always used my 1/2 " drive socket drive to pull the plug. When removed, stick your finger inside and the gear oil level should be just a hair under the lower side of the hole.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 8:23 AM Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
No special tool, if you jack the car up a little, by the frame, not the rear axle, it should give you plenty of clearance to remove the plug.

Butch

On 6/9/2019 11:26 PM, James Hudson wrote:
Hello, I'm posting this question after searching the Crosley Service Manual and this forum without success. I'm trying to check the gear oil level in the differential on my 52 Wagon and find that the gas tank is so close to the differential that it's obscuring the plug. There's about an inch between the plug and the tank. Is there a special tool for this? (I can't fit my large Allen wrench . Do I cut down an existing tool? Am I supposed to drop the gas tank? Thank you for your help.
Jim Hudson
_._,_._,

James Hudson

Gentlemen, Thank you so much. I had it up on ramps and failed to consider the jack and jack stands right next to the car! Sorry to inconvenience you-Jim Hudson

Butch

Jim,

No inconvenience at all, we're Crosley people, we like to help, that's what we're here for, it gives us a purpose in life!

Butch

On 6/10/2019 9:40 PM, James Hudson wrote:
Gentlemen, Thank you so much. I had it up on ramps and failed to consider the jack and jack stands right next to the car! Sorry to inconvenience you-Jim Hudson
_._,_._,_