From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of parkhunter@...
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 8:20 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Pinion nut advice

Pinion nut advice... twice now, my pinion nut has come loose, allowing the pinion gear to get sucked down into the pumpkin. You can see in the photos that the threads stripped clean out of the original nut. The second one was homemade, but still loosened until the final few threads stripped. The second time was fatal for the ring and spider.

I’m getting ready to install a new axle and would like to prevent this from happening again. The shop manual doesn’t have a lot of advice. I’ve turned the nut down snug without impeding the bearings, then mashed down a couple of tabs on the king nut into the splines to keep it from spinning.

What am I missing? Any other tips for rear axles & pumpkins on a 48 with mechanical brakes? Thanks in advance!

- Park

Attachments:

Richard Williams

As you install a new nut put LOCKTITE RED ON THE THREADS. SNUG IT TIGHT FAST AS IT MAY SET FAST. If you ever have to remove it you can heat it with a small torch first. Make sure you use a new bottle of the LOCKTITE, RED. Red is a stud lock. It works for me.

On Sunday, May 17, 2020, 06:29:46 PM PDT, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:

Does the Crosley differential use a crush cone for pinion bearing preload?  If so, there should be a pinion bearing preload adjustment I would imagine and if the preload was not set I would imagine the nut could come loose.