Topics

Pepco Supercharger on Crosley Hotshot

jeff

Thanks to all for advice on how to install this supercharger on a Fageol engine.  Made my own intake manifold.  Engine runs great!

Terrance Robinson

Wow! Did you put it on a  dynamometer to find out the horsepower you've got?

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

Mike Mayberry

I am jealous!!! I want a super charger for mine!!!!

jeff

No dynometer.   I am just a backyard mechanic.   Just like to fiddle with cars.  Since I do not have a proper exhaust manifold (I have a stock Crosley exhaust), I would guess the horsepower at about 103 hp!  Just kidding.  Enjoy working on these cars.

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

L.E. Hardee

I have a Fageol inboard boat setup with the pepco blower.  The ID tag on the side of the block states 45 cu in, 45 hp.  You should have something similar.  Will you please post more pictures showing more mounting details and the pulley belt drive arrangement.  Your set up looks very nice and tight.  I have always intended the Fageol engine and blower to be installed in my 1952 Super Sport.  The inboard set-up drives the blower from the flywheel pulley as probably yours did.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:21 PM jeff <jeffalyon@...> wrote:
No dynometer.   I am just a backyard mechanic.   Just like to fiddle with cars.  Since I do not have a proper exhaust manifold (I have a stock Crosley exhaust), I would guess the horsepower at about 103 hp!  Just kidding.  Enjoy working on these cars.

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

jeff

The stock Crosley engine pulleys use a 5/8 wide belt.  The Pepco supercharger that I purchased came with a thin belt pulley.   Some people say you have to have a special double pulley installed on the generator that has both a pulley for the thick crank belt, and a separate pulley for the thin belt that originally came on the Pepco supercharger.
I made a spacer to extend the supercharger pulley out about one half inch, using a longer bolt.  This spacer will allow the supercharger to run off the original wide crank belt (just a few inches longer).  Then I  added a generic idler pulley (with a sealed bearing) that was wide enough to accommodate the wide fan belt.  The idler pulley ensures maximum belt contact on the supercharger pulley (and generator),  no slippage at high rpms.
Works great!
Now if only I had the inclination to make my own exhaust header, to allow this supercharger to run unrestricted.
Go for it.

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

[...]

Here are photos.

Sent from my jphone

[...]

Oops, forgot to mention.   I used a wide belt pulley from an old generator mounted onto the supercharger with the spacer.

Sent from my jphone