Topics

Pedal location on Super Sport

Dennis Wilkinson

Hi: I just took delivery of my 1951 Super Sport. My problem is that I can not drive it because the brake pedal is too close to the transmission tunnel. My foot will not go by so I can reach the accelerator pedal! My feet are not small, but not that large either (10 1/2). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I bought this car to drive! Thanks for any advise! Dennis

PATRICIA GRITTI

My '52 VC is a driver with enough room for my 10 EEEE shoes! Since your complaint is about brake pedal to transmission cover am wondering whether the transmission cover might not be original. If you're more interested in driving than show you might consider cutting the brake & clutch pedals from their arms & moving them to the left enough to let you drive.
Don

On June 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

Hi: I just took delivery of my 1951 Super Sport. My problem is that I can not drive it because the brake pedal is too close to the transmission tunnel. My foot will not go by so I can reach the accelerator pedal! My feet are not small, but not that large either (10 1/2). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I bought this car to drive! Thanks for any advise! Dennis

Jim Bollman

I never had a problem when I had my SS, maybe a picture of the foot area of your SS to see if something has already been modified.

On Jun 22, 2019, at 6:11 PM, PATRICIA GRITTI <donald-gritti@...> wrote:

My '52 VC is a driver with enough room for my 10 EEEE shoes! Since your complaint is about brake pedal to transmission cover am wondering whether the transmission cover might not be original. If you're more interested in driving than show you might consider cutting the brake & clutch pedals from their arms & moving them to the left enough to let you drive.
Don

On June 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

Hi: I just took delivery of my 1951 Super Sport. My problem is that I can not drive it because the brake pedal is too close to the transmission tunnel. My foot will not go by so I can reach the accelerator pedal! My feet are not small, but not that large either (10 1/2). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I bought this car to drive! Thanks for any advise! Dennis

L.E. Hardee

Suggest you take a picture of the pedals and post so we can see what your problem might be.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 6:18 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Perry

I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

crosleyshortsport

Dennis, This is a photo of the pedal area in my Super Sport. I have driven it many times with my size 11 EE shoes on.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 9:21 PM Steve Perry <sperryfish@...> wrote:
I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

Dennis Wilkinson

I pulled back the floor mat and it seems that the floor has been replaced and I am guessing a poorly made transmition tunnel was put in. I am trying to include photos that I took tonight. Not quite sure how I am going to make a proper tunnel. Any ideas? Thanks: Dennis

I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

Attachments:

Dennis Wilkinson

From looking at the photos sent to me, I guess I need an accelerator pedal assembly too! Anyone got an extra?

I pulled back the floor mat and it seems that the floor has been replaced and I am guessing a poorly made transmition tunnel was put in. I am trying to include photos that I took tonight. Not quite sure how I am going to make a proper tunnel. Any ideas? Thanks: Dennis

I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

Attachments:

Attachments:

crosleyshortsport

Actually, That transmission cover does not look that bad. That accelerator pedal is probably off a '47 Crosley or someone welded the plate on it. Yankee Crosley Parts has the new pedal.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 10:11 PM Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

From looking at the photos sent to me, I guess I need an accelerator pedal assembly too! Anyone got an extra?

I pulled back the floor mat and it seems that the floor has been replaced and I am guessing a poorly made transmition tunnel was put in. I am trying to include photos that I took tonight. Not quite sure how I am going to make a proper tunnel. Any ideas? Thanks: Dennis

I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

Attachments:

Attachments:

L.E. Hardee

You might try loosening the brake pedal where it attaches to the pivot arm.  Then see it rotating it slightly away from the gas pedal to gain a little room.  From the picture it appears to be canted a bit toward the tunnel.  Also the tunnel does seem to be larger than I remember on any of my VC cars.  I didn't go outside tonight in the dark to compare your picture to my cars though.  If it is indeed oversize, that would force your gas foot toward the brake pedal.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 10:52 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
Actually, That transmission cover does not look that bad. That accelerator pedal is probably off a '47 Crosley or someone welded the plate on it. Yankee Crosley Parts has the new pedal.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019, 10:11 PM Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

From looking at the photos sent to me, I guess I need an accelerator pedal assembly too! Anyone got an extra?

I pulled back the floor mat and it seems that the floor has been replaced and I am guessing a poorly made transmition tunnel was put in. I am trying to include photos that I took tonight. Not quite sure how I am going to make a proper tunnel. Any ideas? Thanks: Dennis

I will try to attach a photo of the brake pedal shaft on my 1951 Super Sports. It is nearly straight with very little bend. Wondering if you’re Pedal shaft is bent?
Steve

Attachments:

Attachments:

Ron D.

It looks like when someone fabbed a new tunnel, they didn't take into account for the closeness of the pedals. I would climb underneath the car, and verify how far away the tunnel is to any moving parts, then take a hammer, and gently 'reform" the tunnel away from the gas pedal area, giving your foot more room to the right.. Your rubber floor mats should hide this pretty good.

PATRICIA GRITTI

The transmission cover should only be held to the floor by a few screws. The cover in my VC is original. it is 11" front to back. Should be an easy task to remove the transmission cover & verify the tin is right. From your picture your gas pedal is not correct. The repo pedal you can buy is several inches front to back. that would allow you to work the gas without your foot interfering with the brake.
Don