Topics

Original carburetor? 1952 Super Wagon


Ken Ballein
 

Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken


crosleyshortsport
 

Ken, I will tell you to put a Tillotson on it and drive it problem free. Others like the Carter. Do you have an air cleaner for each ? Also, if you find that you enjoy rebuilding these carbs, You could have yourself a nice retirement job doing them. Our premier carb rebuilder, Chuck Koehler passed on several years ago. Chuck made those carbs look brand new and had them set up so all we had to do is bolt them on and go. I believe at the end, they were going for around $125 plus shipping.  Jeffrey


On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 4:39 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken


Ken Ballein
 

I do have several air cleaners for Tillotson not the Carter.  I ordered an aftermarket for the Carter with an adapter from Speedway.  We’ll see how it goes.  The kits will take a week or so to arrive.  I’m going to go ahead and rebuild both regardless.

Thanks 
Ken


On Dec 26, 2020, at 5:09 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:


Ken, I will tell you to put a Tillotson on it and drive it problem free. Others like the Carter. Do you have an air cleaner for each ? Also, if you find that you enjoy rebuilding these carbs, You could have yourself a nice retirement job doing them. Our premier carb rebuilder, Chuck Koehler passed on several years ago. Chuck made those carbs look brand new and had them set up so all we had to do is bolt them on and go. I believe at the end, they were going for around $125 plus shipping.  Jeffrey

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 4:39 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken


Butch
 

Do you have a COMPLETE set of instructions, for both? Especially the Tillotson?

There are critical things on bot, but the Tillotson is easily damaged, by incorrect disassembly.

If you have questions or doubts, ASK first. I've rebuilt hundreds of both brands, if I've not made all of the mistakes, at least I've made most of them, and will be happy to try to save other people a few.

Butch

On 12/26/2020 5:47 PM, Ken Ballein wrote:
I do have several air cleaners for Tillotson not the Carter.  I ordered an aftermarket for the Carter with an adapter from Speedway.  We’ll see how it goes.  The kits will take a week or so to arrive.  I’m going to go ahead and rebuild both regardless.

Thanks 
Ken


On Dec 26, 2020, at 5:09 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:


Ken, I will tell you to put a Tillotson on it and drive it problem free. Others like the Carter. Do you have an air cleaner for each ? Also, if you find that you enjoy rebuilding these carbs, You could have yourself a nice retirement job doing them. Our premier carb rebuilder, Chuck Koehler passed on several years ago. Chuck made those carbs look brand new and had them set up so all we had to do is bolt them on and go. I believe at the end, they were going for around $125 plus shipping.  Jeffrey

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 4:39 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Ken Ballein
 

I have the service manual and
 Tillotson manual from Yankee Crosley.  I also downloaded rebuild instructions for the Carter from a Jeep site.  I’m sure there will be a lot of questions when I get started.  I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks
Ken


On Dec 26, 2020, at 6:33 PM, Butch via groups.io <butch46988@...> wrote:

 Do you have a COMPLETE set of instructions, for both? Especially the Tillotson?

There are critical things on bot, but the Tillotson is easily damaged, by incorrect disassembly.

If you have questions or doubts, ASK first. I've rebuilt hundreds of both brands, if I've not made all of the mistakes, at least I've made most of them, and will be happy to try to save other people a few.

Butch

On 12/26/2020 5:47 PM, Ken Ballein wrote:
I do have several air cleaners for Tillotson not the Carter.  I ordered an aftermarket for the Carter with an adapter from Speedway.  We’ll see how it goes.  The kits will take a week or so to arrive.  I’m going to go ahead and rebuild both regardless.

Thanks 
Ken


On Dec 26, 2020, at 5:09 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:


Ken, I will tell you to put a Tillotson on it and drive it problem free. Others like the Carter. Do you have an air cleaner for each ? Also, if you find that you enjoy rebuilding these carbs, You could have yourself a nice retirement job doing them. Our premier carb rebuilder, Chuck Koehler passed on several years ago. Chuck made those carbs look brand new and had them set up so all we had to do is bolt them on and go. I believe at the end, they were going for around $125 plus shipping.  Jeffrey

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 4:39 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Spock Arnold
 

Ken, 
     First of all, please dont feel bad about asking questions.  All that is asked in return is you do just that... pass the knowledge on some day.  As to you question, by 1952 Crosley had converted to Carters.   That being said, towards the end, it was an anything goes situation, and if it was laying around in the factory, it was used.  So it is possible that  new 52 could have come with a Tilletson.   
They ARE easier to work with.  
Dave Anspach 

On Dec 26, 2020 4:39 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken


L.E. Hardee
 

I have a 52 Super sedan that was my mom's.  I went on the demo ride with the Crosley dealer when I was 5.  So I know the whole history of the car.  It came with a Tillison carb and the orange Fram cartridge air filter.  It was in the last of the production run.  Other oddities include sliding window doors converted by the factory to roll-ups and a CC rear floor pan with extender panels to match the CD sedan fender contours.  The correct cloth seat upholstery has CC brown vinyl for any under areas not seen. 


On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 7:05 PM Spock Arnold via groups.io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ken, 
     First of all, please dont feel bad about asking questions.  All that is asked in return is you do just that... pass the knowledge on some day.  As to you question, by 1952 Crosley had converted to Carters.   That being said, towards the end, it was an anything goes situation, and if it was laying around in the factory, it was used.  So it is possible that  new 52 could have come with a Tilletson.   
They ARE easier to work with.  
Dave Anspach 

On Dec 26, 2020 4:39 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someday I’ll be answering questions instead of asking all the time.

I have about 6 Tillotson DY9C carbs and 2 Carter WO carbs.  The wagon came with a Tillotson, but I read somewhere the 52 wagon came with a Carter.  I bought a kit for each.

Should the 52 wagon have a Carter or Tillotson?  I have rebuilt several carbs over the years, but not since old age has kicked in and I need readers to see.  Hopefully the rebuilds will go ok.

Thanks,
Ken


Tim Hamblen
 

Having rebuilt both I will say the Tilly is easiest. Sometimes the idle tube is a paint to take out and you do have to do that first .If you can find a new idle tube put it in.If your's is bent or otherwise bad you will need a new one.As for the Carter I found a guy online who supplies the kits for Jeep guys.For about 50 bucks you get every part you will possibly need including plugs, jets, everything.He puts all the parts in to rebuild any WO so you will have stuff left over. I gave the leftovers to Jeep friends.The Carter is much more complicated, much more.But with good instructions it's doable.If you have both, I'd do the Tilly. The Carter flows much more CFM but unless you are hot rodding it the Tilly will do.Sometimes finding a proper air cleaner is an issue, they seem to be getting scarce.


Ken Ballein
 

Hi,

I got the Tillotson disassembled, cleaned (Gunk carb dip), cleaned out the idle tube and main jet and am in the process of reassembly.  The float height is set, the main jet in and now comes a question.

I removed the old main gland nut packing, it was all dried up and probably leaking anyway.  The kit included a small o-ring which appears to be the replacement for the gland nut packing on the main adjustment.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Ken


Butch
 

Yes, that small O-Ring replaces the packing gland.

Butch

On 1/6/2021 3:05 PM, Ken Ballein wrote:

Hi,

I got the Tillotson disassembled, cleaned (Gunk carb dip), cleaned out the idle tube and main jet and am in the process of reassembly.  The float height is set, the main jet in and now comes a question.

I removed the old main gland nut packing, it was all dried up and probably leaking anyway.  The kit included a small o-ring which appears to be the replacement for the gland nut packing on the main adjustment  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Ken
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus