Topics

Oil Pump Fun

Mike S

More Oil Pump Fun....Our 48 has also suffered from low oil pressure after it's up to operating temps. Adding a .100 spacer to the bypass spring, and switching to heavier oil helped, but not enough. I bought gaskets & bushings from Dave Edwards & tore into it today. What I found was a pump with no bushings, some wear on the main shaft and housing that allows the main gear to barely rub the housing in one area, and some wear on the gear teeth. What are the best fixes?.....replace with a later style pump?....oversize shaft & bore the housing?....

dale@servicemotors.net

What was your pressure, at idle and ar 2500 rpm??

On Jan 15, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

More Oil Pump Fun....Our 48 has also suffered from low oil pressure after it's up to operating temps. Adding a .100 spacer to the bypass spring, and switching to heavier oil helped, but not enough. I bought gaskets & bushings from Dave Edwards & tore into it today. What I found was a pump with no bushings, some wear on the main shaft and housing that allows the main gear to barely rub the housing in one area, and some wear on the gear teeth. What are the best fixes?.....replace with a later style pump?....oversize shaft & bore the housing?....

Attachments:

Mike S

After it is good & warmed up going down the road the gage is showing a little over 5lbs and when you pull up to a stop sign it's just above zero.  But the motor never rattles or knocks.  After the heavier oil & the spacer on the pressure spring it would start out at 45psi but as it warms up the pressure goes down.