Oil Filter Help

Jon Ciauri

One of my crosley engines has the letters HS stamped on the raised cast pad located on the left rear side of the block.could that mean hot shot or something else. Another block that supposedly came out of the super sport I   bought has 010 stamped on the same pad. What does that mean ? Last question, I want to connect a fram oil filter to the HS engine. It was never drilled for the bolt on oil filter on the right side so the only holes in oil gallery are the 3/8 pipe hole that points forward and the 1/8 pipe hole at the right rear.  My inclination is to connect the 3/8 hole to the oil filter and the 1/8 hole to the oil pressure gauge. Is that correct ?

On Jun 23, 2021, at 5:38 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

President Dave was just contacted by a gentleman in Shreveport, LA. that has a 48 wagon less engine and trans that he needs to get rid of. Must go by end if month or will be scrapped. Free for the taking.

Contact Dave for contact info. <
tmkldwwj@...>

Gabriel Haddad

Jon, please start a new conversation on the crosley gang group.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, 8:41 PM Jon Ciauri via groups.io <jlciauri=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim Bollman

I split your message into a new topic and changed the Topic so people can find it. As Gab suggested when you start a new Topic on Crosley-Gang don't just reply to an existing topic. At the bottom of each message is a link for starting a New Topic.

I never saw an engine with HS, are you sure it isn't HC? HC stood for High Compression and was used on at least some of the Quicksilver 10:1 compression engines and were mainly sold as an option in the Hotshot and Super Sports but may have been available in other models. http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree-2.html

The external oil filter is fed from the front of the oil galley and returned to the crankcase on the spark plug side of the engine. I have attached two pictures that show the feed to the oil filter.

Jim..

Ron D.

Jon,
   When choosing an oil filter for any of your vehicles, do yourself a favor, and NEVER use a Fram filter. The object of the filter is to filter out dirt and foreign substances in the oil. You can find many tests out there that show Fram is not very good at it. Get yourself a Wix or Purolator filter, as they do a much better job at filtering oil. Just my 2 cents, to try and help that engine.

Andy Drake

And also make sure you have the gasket in place and top screwed down very securely before starting the engine. Ask me (and my garage floor) how I know!

Jim Liberty

You are not alone.      .....Jim.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 6:28 AM Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:
And also make sure you have the gasket in place and top screwed down very securely before starting the engine. Ask me (and my garage floor) how I know!

Steve

And with spin-on filters, always check that the old gasket came off with the old filter before installing the new.  Ask my brother-in-law how he knows.