Topics

New crosley owner looking for parts and info

Junkyard4

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1946 Crosley sedan in original condition. It's missing the fuel pump and complete air cleaner. Does anyone have either of these they'd sell? A couple years ago I had enough extra mechanical parts to build a coupe Crosley's but not thinking I'd ever own a Crosley again I sold everything I had.
With this new car there were a couple extra engines taken apart inside the car. One is a little unique and I would like some input as to what it was for. First off it's painted O.D. Green so I assume it's military. It has no starter or generator. In place of the generator there's a bracket that bolts to the engine block that has a shaft running through it to run the water pump. The flywheel has no ring gear on it. Mounted to the front of the engine there's a large pulley to be used with a rope for starting the engine. The oilpan is larger than normal and is made of cast aluminum. It also has fittings on either side of the oilpan for coolant for cooling the engine oil. Does anyone have information on what this engine was for?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul
847-508-3634

Steve

Paul,
That one engine is definitely military. Most likely from a generator set.
You are in my area code. If you ever have questions or need some help.
Feel free to reach to me.
Steve Miller
brawnybug@...

We also have our Illinois Region meet on Sunday, Sept. 10, in Utica, IL.
Great chance to meet a whole bunch of Crosley folk.

[...]

crosleyshortsport

Paul,  If you have not already, consider becoming a member of the Crosley Automobile Club. We are all here for you. You will enjoy an award winning quarterly magazine filled with stories, facts and suppliers. I highly recommend the local meet that Steve Miller suggested. Take your Crosley with you, as is. I promise, you will get plenty of advice!  Jeffrey Ackerman
          Crosley Automobile Club
                 Vice President

On Sep 1, 2017 10:16 PM, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Bollman

Welcome. The parts you need should be available from one of our vendors. Service Motors, Edwards Crosley and Yankee are the three biggest general parts dealers.

The OD engine sounds like a military generator engine. Hopefully it is all there, since they have a better crank, oil pump and a few other parts than the standard Crosley engine.

Jim...