Topics

My fist Croslet - Hot Shot in DC

Mike P

Hi,

I won this awesome Hot Shot auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1950-crosley-hot-shot-2/

I don't have much time to bring it from DC to CT, due to my wife's health I can't spend much time away. I have a Trailex open trailer but it's too wide, would have to add boards to it. And it would be silly to bring my 24' enclosed trailer for it. I was wondering if anyone has tried a tow dolly with one of these cars??? If the roads are dry I could do that. Or if anyone in that area does delivery let me know. Or let me know if you just want to check it out with me and lend Crosley experience (I have none) if I don't end up getting a commercial transport company to deliver it.

Thanks!

Regards, mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~ guitar effects

AnalogMike@...

My racing website : http://www.analogman.com/911

'73 911RS, '08 GT3 cup, '01 Viper GTS, '74 Lotus Europa Special, '15 Audi S3, '06 MiniCooperS, '04 TowRig '50 Crosley Hot Shot

crosleyshortsport

Mike,   Looks like you have a nicely restored Hot Shot. The modifications will give you more driveability than our all stock versions. I would not recommend a tow dolly. These cars are not heavy enough to tow that distance. You would probably break something along the way. The 24 foot enclosed trailer is the way to go. I have used a 22 foot enclosed trailer many times to get back and forth to the Crosley nationals. On that subject,  as chairman of the national meet, I invite you to the 2019 Crosley Automobile Club national meet. July 10 - 13 at the Fulton County Fairgrounds in Wauseon, Ohio. This is the big 50th year celebration for the club. Any and all questions you may have will gladly be answered here.
     Jeffrey

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 8:33 PM Mike Piera via Groups.Io <analogmike=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
[...]

Randy C

Back in November 1966 my Father tow dollied my 1948 Crosley station wagon 120 miles on the I-5 Freeway. It was cold and raining. As I recall he stayed between 50 and 55 mph. No problems.

     Randy

---
https://www.avg.com

Spock Arnold

Randy, with all due respect to your father, there is a big difference between then and towing a car on I 95 today.  50 miles an hour would likely get someone killed.  I would not recommend towing a Crosley at today's highway speed.  I would agree that the best solution for you us to use your enclosed trailer.

Tim Hamblen

Too nice a car to risk a dolly, dangerous too. Enclosed trailer if it were mine.

Randy C

I was not recommending it however back then the speed limit was 70 and the majority of vehicles went faster than that. We could not see the Crosley behind because the tow pickup had a fourteen foot camper on it.  Just a glance when turning was all. We did stop Many times to check that all was secure. The tread width of the Crosley barely fit the U-Haul rental two dolly.

   I used to drive that same trip in the Crosley many times but only 50 miles of it on I-5. Each time a truck or bus passed me [ I drove the Crosley at 52 mph ], the little Crosley was almost blown off the road. I took two lane rural highways for the other 70 miles. The original 1948 Crosley headlights were not much for night driving on dark unlighted highways and were terrible in fog.

   Randy

---
https://www.avg.com

seb fontana

Nice car!! Well done build, you done good! I am in CT and would like to see the car when you get it back to CT..May I suggest renting a box truck from U-haul or Penske..And no it would not be silly to take your 24' enclosed trailer; by the time you get the car in and all the extra parts you will be glad you did!..Seb..

Jeffrey Gladden

Use the 24’ enclosed trailer.  I have pulled a single Crosley, including my Supersport, in my 24’ enclosed trailer many times.  I take one to Hershey each year from Virginia.  Welcome to the Crosley family!

On Dec 23, 2018, at 1:07 PM, seb fontana via Groups.Io <speedoo51@...> wrote:

Nice car!! Well done build, you done good! I am in CT and would like to see the car when you get it back to CT..May I suggest renting a box truck from U-haul or Penske..And no it would not be silly to take your 24' enclosed trailer; by the time you get the car in and all the extra parts you will be glad you did!..Seb..

fred@...

It looks like you got a prize there - Crosley folks are very supportive of nicely modified cars. Consider the enclosed trailer or your open trailer with some mods.  There are some good Crosley people in CT that will love to see that one.  You will fall in love with these little rascals. (I have some roadsters just to keep the Buicks and Packards in line)

L.E. Hardee

Nice looking HotShot.  I too suggest you go on and use your box trailer.  It may be a bit large, but better too much than too little.  Tie it down well.  Wouldn't want it to bang around inside the trailer.

When you get it home and check it out, I would be very interested in learning how the transmission shifter is set up.  Is some sort of remote linkage to the stock transmission or is another transmission used?