Topics

MG Transmission adaptor

This listing popped up on eBay yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-s-1960-s-vintage-crosley-h-mod-race-car-fiat-suspension-tube-chassis-/152650911229

Notice the trans used and the adaptor, I presume it's custom.  Anyone with the info necessary to replicate this, I just happen to have a 4-speed out of a 73 Midget.  (I'll attempt to attach picts)

Gary

I have a rib case MG trans in Thundermug. It is a simple 1/2 " plate drilled to match the motor and the trans. I built a custom carrier/ pivot assy for the throwout bearing. I am planning on pulling the trans this fall and can measure and diagram the adapter and the throwout carrier if anyone's interested. The aluminum flywheel has Fiat 600 starter ring with a custom steel clutch friction insert.

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 8, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Andy <dr.diesel@...> wrote:

This listing popped up on eBay yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-s-1960-s-vintage-crosley-h-mod-race-car-fiat-suspension-tube-chassis-/152650911229

Notice the trans used and the adaptor, I presume it's custom.  Anyone with the info necessary to replicate this, I just happen to have a 4-speed out of a 73 Midget.  (I'll attempt to attach picts)<s_l1600 _1_.jpg><s_l1600.jpg><s_l1600 _2_.jpg><s_l1600 _3_.jpg><s_l1600 _4_.jpg>

David

Edited

Hi Gary,

I am very interested. Any info on the adapter plate will be appreciated.

Thanks,  David Lambert

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I should have the trans off in late Oct. will do some measuring, etc. and post it here. The adapter has been on the car for about 22 years and the input bearings, clutch and flywheel are all very serviceable so the hole locations are obviously accurate.

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 8, 2017, at 6:07 PM, David via Groups.Io <drlamber@...> wrote:

[...]

<1226DB4266964A21A0F2211010CA3B7A.png>

David

Edited

Thanks Gary.  I’m familiar with the Thundermug as it was when it raced with VARA.  Very nice car!

David

[...]

I bought her from Rick Titus after he got her from Chuck Wood. Everything is like Dale built her except for a diagonal I added to the roll hoop. Still runs and drives GREAT!

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 8, 2017, at 7:45 PM, David via Groups.Io <drlamber@...> wrote:

[...]

<CA981F9558584A03A607AABDA2C43567.png>

David

Edited

I saw the car when Chuck raced it.  It looks like great fun to drive!

David

[...]

Come to a CVAR event (Ok & Tx) and see it again!

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2017, at 11:57 AM, David via Groups.Io <drlamber@...> wrote:

[...]

<F058D9F8E81F43B7B773283CC902E123.png>

David

Edited

I would love to, but that’s a long way to tow my car.  I live in Escondido, CA.

David

[...]

Thanks Gary, I'd be greatfull for any duplication/measurement/design info you could provide.