From: Crosley_Gang@... [mailto:Crosley_Gang@...]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 4:41 PM
To: Crosley_Gang@...
Subject: [Crosley_Gang] Re: Marine crosley engine

what is the diffrence if any, between an engine used in a car and one used in a marinr application. Is one better than the other?

jim

Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...>

At least some of the Aerojet marine engines used the nodular iron crankshafts. Not all of them had steel. The ones used as inboard engines have crankshafts that can be used in a car. They had marine manifolds. They are easily adaptable to put in a car.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2016, at 6:19 PM, 'Steve' brawnybug@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

A true marine engine should have a steel crank instead of the cast iron crank.  But we need an expert like Barry Seel to weigh in on converting a marine engine for use in a Crosley.

what is the diffrence if any, between an engine used in a car and one used in a marinr application. Is one better than the other?

jim

Richard Williams <rwms_2002@...>

The marine engine has a larger bore, there buy having more horsepower. It can be modified to work in a car.

On Friday, May 20, 2016 2:40 PM, "Jim jimcarrie03@... [Crosley_Gang]" wrote:

what is the diffrence if any, between an engine used in a car and one used in a marinr application. Is one better than the other?
jim

Jim Bollman <Jim.Bollman@...>

The marine engines built by Crosley are the same displacement as the car engines and depending on when they were made could have any one of several cranks. All Crosley built marine engines were inboard and can be used in cars with some external changes. Most every company that manufactured and sold variations of the Crosley after Crosley went out of business offered marine engines in many different styles some can be converted easily others with a great deal of modification. They vary in size from the same 44CI as Crosley to 59CI. Some inboard, some outboard vertical and some inboard/vertical through the hull. All vertical engines require a great deal of modification since they run dry sump and use a crank with a different end.

Follow this link and the next two pages to see some of the marine engines made.

So to answer your question we need more information.

Jim...

On Friday, May 20, 2016 2:40 PM, "Jim jimcarrie03@... [Crosley_Gang]" <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

what is the diffrence if any, between an engine used in a car and one used in a marinr application. Is one better than the other?
jim

"Kenneth Weseman" <kenwese@...>

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1956 Fageol/Crosley engine for my Yellow Jacket boat. It has a 2.5' bore.

The marine engine has a larger bore, there buy having more horsepower. It can be modified to work in a car.

On Friday, May 20, 2016 2:40 PM, "Jim jimcarrie03@... [Crosley_Gang]" wrote:

what is the diffrence if any, between an engine used in a car and one used in a marinr application. Is one better than the other?
jim

rgciba

My Aerojet Marine inboard (Crosley) engine crankshaft has the following "casting" markings:
ATLAS
PC-700-J

It also has stamped markings:
11B504
A25
It has machining marks:

Is this a Steel Crankshaft? Is it usable for high rpm Crosley engine build?

Butch

Yes, that is one of the best crankshafts to build a high performance Crosley engine with.

Butch