Magneto

Jim Liberty

Does anyone out there have a magneto in working condition for sale. I'm building a supercharged Crosley / Devin, 1958.

seb fontana

How are you going to adjust advance/retard under boost? Which mag you want; verticle that goes in dist hole or the one that mounts horzontal along side dist area driven by belt?

Jim Liberty

Seb, I have never installed a magneto. I thought it would be a nice add to my Crosley / Devin under restoration. It would seem that it would be better driven from the distributor hole. My engine builder is one of the best in the US and he is advising that. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but it would be a cool addition. We are having ISKY grind the cam for the blower, and using a "Strapped" bottom end.  Also using a Sprite ribbed tranny. Dual split exhaust header       ...........Jim.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM seb fontana via groups.io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
How are you going to adjust advance/retard under boost? Which mag you want; verticle that goes in dist hole or the one that mounts horzontal along side dist area driven by belt?

Jim Bollman

The mags off the military engines will not be a good match for you. I have been told they have no advance mechanism and were intend for a constant RPM. There are racing mags around but at considerable higher prices than the military version.

Jim...

On Jan 7, 2022, at 2:44 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

Seb, I have never installed a magneto. I thought it would be a nice add to my Crosley / Devin under restoration. It would seem that it would be better driven from the distributor hole. My engine builder is one of the best in the US and he is advising that. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but it would be a cool addition. We are having ISKY grind the cam for the blower, and using a "Strapped" bottom end.  Also using a Sprite ribbed tranny. Dual split exhaust header       ...........Jim.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM seb fontana via groups.io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
How are you going to adjust advance/retard under boost? Which mag you want; verticle that goes in dist hole or the one that mounts horzontal along side dist area driven by belt?

<DSC_0005.JPG>

seb fontana

Just a point of veiw. Probably don't need advance as based on stock its all in by 2000rpm and there is only 12° of advance. Since it should be retarded some per lb of boost it probably can be set at 18° initial and will have enough retard at boost and not be too hard starting, I have several engines that start fine at 18°. Cam wise I don't see why more [or less] than stock is needed for a runner; if racing then go for it. I don't know for a fact if Fageol in the blown engines used anything other than a stock cam or what they did timing-wise, haven't found anyone  or any specs to say so. I will look see which mags I have. Will take a bit as the shed doors are snow -stuck. Seb.

Jim Liberty

Thanks Seb. I am in the market.    .......Jim.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 12:29 PM seb fontana via groups.io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just a point of veiw. Probably don't need advance as based on stock its all in by 2000rpm and there is only 12° of advance. Since it should be retarded some per lb of boost it probably can be set at 18° initial and will have enough retard at boost and not be too hard starting, I have several engines that start fine at 18°. Cam wise I don't see why more [or less] than stock is needed for a runner; if racing then go for it. I don't know for a fact if Fageol in the blown engines used anything other than a stock cam or what they did timing-wise, haven't found anyone  or any specs to say so. I will look see which mags I have. Will take a bit as the shed doors are snow -stuck. Seb.

Jerry Summey

Jim, I have a couple of Mags that came off of military engines, I will try and lay my hands on them on Monday.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Thanks Seb. I am in the market.    .......Jim.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 12:29 PM seb fontana via groups.io <speedoo51=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just a point of veiw. Probably don't need advance as based on stock its all in by 2000rpm and there is only 12° of advance. Since it should be retarded some per lb of boost it probably can be set at 18° initial and will have enough retard at boost and not be too hard starting, I have several engines that start fine at 18°. Cam wise I don't see why more [or less] than stock is needed for a runner; if racing then go for it. I don't know for a fact if Fageol in the blown engines used anything other than a stock cam or what they did timing-wise, haven't found anyone  or any specs to say so. I will look see which mags I have. Will take a bit as the shed doors are snow -stuck. Seb.

Jim Liberty

Thanks Jerry. If you have one in working order, I'll buy it.     .......Jim.