Topics

Lube points - distributor and starter motor

Paula W

Distributor: Page 14 of the manual says "The distributor is lubricated through a slide-covered oil cup, located on the side of the housing." However, all I could find was what you see pictured - a bump with an open hole. Is this where I put the oil? If so, am I missing a cover?

Starter Motor: Page 13 of the manual says under "STARTING MOTOR MAK-4027": "...One or two drops of light engine oil in the ball-sealed hold on top of the starter motor each 1,000 miles is all that is necessary." In the picture included, all I could see on top was that round piece that looked like an embedded screw cap. I think there is one on the other side as well. Is this where I put the oil? (I confirmed I have the 4027 starter motor.)

Butch

Howdy,

The "bump, with an open hole", shown in your photo, is on the crankcase, not the distributor. The fitting that you're looking for, is on the cast iron, distributor body, It sticks out, at a right angle, it's brass, with a "sliding tube", that slides out to expose the oil hole.

On the starter motor, the screws heads that you're seeing, are the pole shoe screws, but look a little further back (up in your photo) right by the starter mounting flange, you can see the "ball fitting", for oiling.

Butch

On 3/7/2021 9:48 PM, Paula W wrote:
Distributor: Page 14 of the manual says "The distributor is lubricated through a slide-covered oil cup, located on the side of the housing." However, all I could find was what you see pictured - a bump with an open hole. Is this where I put the oil? If so, am I missing a cover?

Starter Motor: Page 13 of the manual says under "STARTING MOTOR MAK-4027": "...One or two drops of light engine oil in the ball-sealed hold on top of the starter motor each 1,000 miles is all that is necessary." In the picture included, all I could see on top was that round piece that looked like an embedded screw cap. I think there is one on the other side as well. Is this where I put the oil? (I confirmed I have the 4027 starter motor.)

Paula W

Oh thank you, Butch! Yes!! I have found them now.
Last time through I was looking over the shoulder of a mechanic and it's well past time I did this myself.