Topics

Looking for a carb

Hellbs

Hello all,
After posting last time inquiring about a carburetor rebuild kit for our '39 coupe convertible, we have run into other problems.  I had a friend who does a lot of work on carbs for jet-skis take a look at it and had some problems.  He got is partially apart and cleaned it really well.  Had lots of soot and other buildup from gas decades ago.  He said he could only separate the carb about an inch and something was catching internally and was afraid if he tried to hard to separate it, something would break and be un-repairable.  We also have a very old book with about 6 pages all about Crosley maintenance.  We were attempting to adjust the set adjustment screws as the manual states but they are seized up as well.  In his past experiences, breaking those loose also causes future fuel leaks.  Long story short, the engine runs fine anything above idle, if we let the RPMs drop to idle speed, it dies.  Thought that a good cleaning would help clear this problem up and run better but it didn't.  He believe there is something else in the carb not working properly.

So with his recommendation, I am here looking for another carb in good working order, or another carb to use for parts to fix this one if we break something when trying to fully separate the carb.  Attached is a picture of the carb currently on the car.

If anyone can help please respond to this post with contact information and myself or my dad will get in touch.  My grandpa (who is now gone) bought the car new and we really wanted to get it drive-able before he past but ran out of time.  So we would really like to get it up and going before we loose to much more time so my dad, his siblings, and rest of our family can enjoy this fun little car.

Thank you very much in advance!
 -Matt H.

Hellbs

forgot to add the picture...

Richard Helm

From the picture this looks like the Tillotson DY9C. If so, you need to remove the idle tube from the carburetor before trying to take it apart. I think that’s the screw with a spring under it that shows up in the upper right corner of your picture. That idle tube goes thru the carb on an angle and you will ruin it if you try to get the carb apart without removing the tube first. If you find the tube to be damaged you can get a new one from one of our Crosley vendors.

Rich

Spock Arnold

I would guess your friend does not know about the Tillitson carb for the Crosley.  It is likely that the transverse tube has already been bent.   I would suggest you contact one of the Crosley vendors to see if they will rebuild it correctly.  But before you do, if I am not mistaken, this is not the correct carb for the pre war engine anyway.  Id suggest contacting Al Calvin to see if he has any.  Your best bet is to come to the National show to look for one.  Barry Seel may also be able to help.
In addition Id suggest you make contact with your closest Club member to see if he or she can help you.

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 05:47:33 PM PDT, Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Do you happen to have contact information for either of these gentlemen?  I dont think we will be able to attend nationals.

Spock Arnold

You will find both names in your club roster. In addition Barry is on the club web page under parts suppliers.

On Jun 25, 2019 10:16 PM, Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:
Do you happen to have contact information for either of these gentlemen?  I dont think we will be able to attend nationals.

Hellbs

Ok thanks

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019, 9:49 PM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You will find both names in your club roster. In addition Barry is on the club web page under parts suppliers.

On Jun 25, 2019 10:16 PM, Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:
Do you happen to have contact information for either of these gentlemen?  I dont think we will be able to attend nationals.

dale@servicemotors.net

Hi matt
Give me a call I can get you fixed up.
866-449-0029. Dale

On Jun 25, 2019, at 5:47 PM, Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dale,

My dad and I removed the carb today and will ship it out to you this week.

My email is hollywoodhellberg@...
Cell is 641-990-187
 Please call with any questions.
Dads email is dave68gto@... please include him also on any emails going forward.

Also once rebuilt I will give you my work address to return ship.

Thank you much!

-Matt

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 8:20 AM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok thanks.