Topics

king pin replacement on Super Sport

Dennis Wilkinson

Hi: I have a fair amount of play in the pass side king pin, both up and down and side to side on my 1951 Super Sport VC. I think I can get the old bushings out and put new ones in, but do they need to be reamed for alignment? This part bothers me, as need special reamer and could mess it up. Also how do I determine which size pins I have? Measuring the outside caps seems to be about an inch. No help as they appear to come in 1/2" or 5/8". Is this something I should take to a machine shop to get done?  Does not look like too big of deal to remove front axle. Would like some opinions before I tackle this project  Thanks: Dennis.

Richard Williams

I have an adjustable reamer. I measure the King Pin and set the reamer for just .oo1 larger. Be careful to not go too far over.

Rich Williams

On Saturday, July 6, 2019, 02:11:00 PM PDT, Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

Hi: I have a fair amount of play in the pass side king pin, both up and down and side to side on my 1951 Super Sport VC. I think I can get the old bushings out and put new ones in, but do they need to be reamed for alignment? This part bothers me, as need special reamer and could mess it up. Also how do I determine which size pins I have? Measuring the outside caps seems to be about an inch. No help as they appear to come in 1/2" or 5/8". Is this something I should take to a machine shop to get done?  Does not look like too big of deal to remove front axle. Would like some opinions before I tackle this project  Thanks: Dennis.

Jim Bollman

51 SS will have 5/8" KingPins if it has the original axel. 

Dennis Wilkinson

Thanks, I guess for now I will have to assume it has the original axel.

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2019 6:20 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] king pin replacement on Super Sport

51 SS will have 5/8" KingPins if it has the original axel. 

Dennis Wilkinson

Sounds good, do you have any info on where to get a reamer like that?

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Williams via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2019 4:19 PM

I have an adjustable reamer. I measure the King Pin and set the reamer for just .oo1 larger. Be careful to not go too far over.

Rich Williams

On Saturday, July 6, 2019, 02:11:00 PM PDT, Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

Richard Williams

I will look for my catalog and let you know.

Rich Williams

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, July 6, 2019 5:50 PM

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Williams via Groups.Io

Rich Williams

PATRICIA GRITTI

Adjustable reamers are expensive. McMaster Carr Supply should have them. Try rental facilities or as you suggester remove the axle & have a machinist fit the bushings.
Don

On July 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM Dennis Wilkinson <denkath@...> wrote:

Rich Williams

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

MSC Industrial Supply Co.     shows them in the on line and sure so do many others. Just have to pick the proper size. I guessed at the two possible sizes.
           bye      Robert

In a message dated 7/8/2019 1:18:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, donald-gritti@... writes:

Adjustable reamers are expensive. McMaster Carr Supply should have them. Try rental facilities or as you suggester remove the axle & have a machinist fit the bushings.
Don

Rich Williams

Vern Barker

One could take spindle to a automotive machine shop to have fit using a connecting rod machine.
Done many that way.
Ven

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 5:38 PM

MSC Industrial Supply Co.     shows them in the on line and sure so do many others. Just have to pick the proper size. I guessed at the two possible sizes.
           bye      Robert

In a message dated 7/8/2019 1:18:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, donald-gritti@... writes:

Don

Rich Williams

Dennis Wilkinson

Might check into that! Might be cheaper than my mistakes!

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vern Barker
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 6:27 PM

One could take spindle to a automotive machine shop to have fit using a connecting rod machine.

Done many that way.

Ven

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 5:38 PM

MSC Industrial Supply Co.     shows them in the on line and sure so do many others. Just have to pick the proper size. I guessed at the two possible sizes.

bye      Robert

Don

Rich Williams