Jeep Trailers

"silkytwo_99" <crosley@...>

Short answer, no, Crosley didn't build Jeep trailers. American
Bantam which was the reorganized company of the bankrupt American
Austin made Jeep trailers during WW2. The US Army put out bids for a
small 4 X 4 vehicle to be built for military use. American Bantam
came up with the best design and several hundred were built but the
Army took the design and gave it tow Willys and Ford to be built and
gave American Bantom a contract for trailers to be built in their
Butler PA factory. It is reported that most of the Bantam Jeeps went
to Russia. I don't know where I read it but I think that the chief
engineer of Austin/Bantam became the chief engineer of Crosley cars.

Mike

Jim Bollman <Jim@...>

I never heard of the chief engineer connection. Paul Klotsch was the Chief Engineer of Crosley from sometime in 1940 till the end and then went to work at Ford in a similar capacity. Paul Klotsch was working as an engineer for Briggs Manufacturing before joining Crosley. Crosley did hire and fire Alex Tremulis (later the Tucker designer) who went on to design the Bantam. Crosley also built refrigerators in the idle American Austin plant when the Cincinnati plant was flooded, before he moved production to Richmond Indiana.

If I missed another connection I'd like to know about it.

Jim...