Topics

Interesting block

Andy Drake
 

Happy New Year everyone! I recently came across this block and thought I'd share it with the group. It appears relatively "normal": usual location of Crosley logo, typical casting number, no boss on the back for a governor, two water outlets on the back, and turbulator chamber. That said, there's a divider installed in each of the exhaust ports. They look very professionally done and I'm curious if this actually improves the exhaust flow at all. Maybe an old racing trick when you have high volume manifolds?

Butch
 

Actually Andy, those are the INTAKE ports. The exhaust ports are already separate from each other.

Butch

On 1/1/2018 3:14 PM, Andy Drake wrote:
Happy New Year everyone! I recently came across this block and thought I'd share it with the group. It appears relatively "normal": usual location of Crosley logo, typical casting number, no boss on the back for a governor, two water outlets on the back, and turbulator chamber. That said, there's a divider installed in each of the exhaust ports. They look very professionally done and I'm curious if this actually improves the exhaust flow at all. Maybe an old racing trick when you have high volume manifolds?



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Gary
 

What advantage would there be to dividing the intake ports? Thundermug’s motor uses a Weber DCOE feeding a 2-runner type manifold. Would there be a power advantage to dividing the ports?

Gary McFarlane
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:45 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

Actually Andy, those are the INTAKE ports. The exhaust ports are already separate from each other.

Butch

On 1/1/2018 3:14 PM, Andy Drake wrote:
Happy New Year everyone! I recently came across this block and thought I'd share it with the group. It appears relatively "normal": usual location of Crosley logo, typical casting number, no boss on the back for a governor, two water outlets on the back, and turbulator chamber. That said, there's a divider installed in each of the exhaust ports. They look very professionally done and I'm curious if this actually improves the exhaust flow at all. Maybe an old racing trick when you have high volume manifolds?

<block.jpg>


Virus-free. www.avast.com

Andy Drake
 

Doh -- that's right! I've snapped off enough exhaust manifold studs that I should know better.

dale@servicemotors.net
 

The splitting Of the port was to cut down on the reverberation with in the intake ports. It’s basically to make for parts out of two.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:39 PM, Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:

Doh -- that's right! I've snapped off enough exhaust manifold studs that I should know better.