From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 2:39 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Info Wanted on 3/4 Midget

Phil Mendola sent me a picture and some history on a 3/4 Crosley powered Midget and was wondering if it still existed. He figured the current owner may not have the history.

Here is what Phil sent me.
"I just started corresponding with an old friend of mine from my hot rod days, back in the '50's & '60's. He sent  me a close up picture of a Crosley powered 3/4 midget race car. This car was raced at the Rochester War Memorial back in the late sixties. I myself  remember going to watch those races back then. The drivers name was Junior Stevens who was from Washburn, Iowa. Junior stayed at my friends house when he was here. He carried the race car in the bed of his pick up. He had a fresh Crosley motor in it, and ran the car in the empty parking lot at Charlotte Beach, to break it in a little bit more, before the race.  The car was also raced at Utica NY. Later he ran the car at a small track near the speedway in Daytona, and won that race.

Junior passed away several years ago. My friend doesn't know what happened to the car. It is possible that one of our members may have it now. I am sure if we can find out who, they would be interested in the early history of the car. Writing on the side of the car indicates Salem Speedway, in Salem Indiana. But, since Junior lived in Iowa, it may be that Paul Gorrell ended up with it or knows of it.  ???"

Any idea anyone?

Attachments:

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

whistler@...

John Doyle said... I know he ran the car into the 80s. I have picture somewhere of it at a track in Virginia. After that no idea.

whistler@...

James Graybeal said...Jim Getilfinger(spelling) built the car 1962 or 63. Finished second in 62 or 63 in UMRA points behind Sonny Ates. Car ran for years

whistler@...

Ron Canterbury  Said.... Yes. Jr. Stevens, Waterloo Ia. Bought from Jim Gettlefinger. 1964.$2000.00. He broke my record,$1000.00 i paid to Bill Burgen 1963, for Hank Geer 41 tq.