Topics

Hung brake? Sticking brake?

Steve

I have some ideas on this problem but want to seek the advice of the Crosley collective.

Last weekend at the Illinois Meet we did our small cruise.  Nice and slow, a little stop and go.  When we returned to the park, I proceeded to load my Crosley on its trailer.  I hooked up my winch and the car did not want to move.  Checked the shifter, it wasn’t in gear.  Checked the e-brake, it wasn’t set.  I really had to work the winch hard to get it loaded.

2 hours later when I’m home, it rolls off the trailer easy as can be.  I suspect I have a brake hanging up, but I suspect the hydraulic components more than the springs.  I’m thinking:

1.      Bleed the brakes

2.      Check wheel cylinders

3.      Check brake lines for collapse.

Something was stuck, but released over time.  Here’s your chance, please share your experience.

-Steve M.

Butch

Steve,

Quite possibly the master cylinder. There are two ports in there, one lets the fluid return to the master cylinder, from the wheel cylinders, after a brake application is over.

Talk about exciting, I had that happen to me on the front wheel brake of a motorcycle. It would set the brake tight enough, to lock up the tire while slowing down. A quick opening on the bleeder, would produce a tiny spurt of fluid, enough to relieve the pressure in the caliper, and no more drag.

Cleaning the master cylinder ports out, fixed the problem.

Just a possible idea.

Butch

On 9/18/2020 7:19 PM, Steve wrote:

[...]

Steve Olinger

September 18 2020 7:19 PM, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops hit the send button and sent a blank message the first time! I second what Butch said. Its probably the little return hole in the master cylinder stopped up or not any free travel in the pedal.
Steve

September 18 2020 7:33 PM, "Steve Olinger" <olinger@...> wrote:

[...]

L.E. Hardee

A question:  When loading the Crosley, were all wheels dragging or just one?  I have had a sticking wheel cylinder that would lockup when the brakes were applied hard but release over time if left alone.  I have also had a brake lining that had a piece break off and jam between brake shoe and drum.  Rolling the car backwards spit out the piece and it fell harmlessly into the drum.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:37 PM Steve Olinger <olinger@...> wrote:
[...]

Plandersen

Steve, my experience with something like that was not with a Crosley so I do not know if it equates but is worth looking at.  On mine the brake pedal was not coming fully up and so the master cylinder was not releasing the pressure.  It would build and build until it locked the brakes.  After it sat for awhile it would release on its own.  Lubed the brake pedal and made sure it was fully retuning after it was pressed.  It then didn’t give me anymore trouble.  Kent

On Sep 18, 2020, at 4:19 PM, Steve <brawnybug@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't see what model Crosley you have but I had that problem with my 1949 Crosley Hotshot with 4 wheel disc (spot) brakes. The problem turned out to be the right emergency brake linkage. It was not releasing until I gently moved the lever at the rear backing plate. That released the brake lock up. Still haven't found a real fix but I just don't use the ebrake anymore.
-Steve Cameron

[...]

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.  To answer a few of the questions, it’s a 1950 with 9” Bendix hydraulics.  I don’t know if it was just one brake sticking or all.  I once had an entire brake lining come off a shoe and wedge itself between the other shoe and the drum.  Been there, fixed that on my Crofton Bug.  So thanks, everyone.  I have many starting points and some I would not have thought of.

-Steve M.

[...]

David Reina

Hi Steve,

I read Butch’s reply and it may be that. Here is another possibility that has gotten me. Sometimes a brake line will go bad and swell up internally. When this happens your foot can generate enough pressure to force fluid past the bad area but the brake springs don’t have enough power to push the fluid back to the master cylinder. If it happens up front you would only have one wheel locking but if the back line goes bad both wheels could lock up.

All this is reminding me that I have a front wheel cylinder on my Super Sport that grabs and needs to be changed. I think in my case its the wheel cylinder?

Good luck!

David Reina
Brooklyn, NY