Topics

Hot Shot pops out of gear

Mike P

Hi,

My modified Hot Shot won't stay in gear, if I hit a bump or get off and on the gas it comes out of gear.

The previous owner put in a remote shifter, not sure if it's this shifter or the transmission itself that is the problem.
The shifter does not seem to have any loads on it that would cause it to pull it out of gear.

Any experiences or solutions with these trannies popping out of gear?

Jim Bollman

Here are some solution from awhile back. First things to check are the spring loaded poppets in the top of the transmission

Jim...

On May 28, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Mike Piera via Groups.Io <analogmike@...> wrote:

Hi,

My modified Hot Shot won't stay in gear, if I hit a bump or get off and on the gas it comes out of gear.

The previous owner put in a remote shifter, not sure if it's this shifter or the transmission itself that is the problem.
The shifter does not seem to have any loads on it that would cause it to pull it out of gear.

Any experiences or solutions with these trannies popping out of gear?

dale@servicemotors.net

Yes its usually the shifter top but could also be the trans itself.  Your going to have to remove the top and inspect.  We can help.
Dale Service Motors.

On May 28, 2019, at 8:21 AM, Mike Piera via Groups.Io <analogmike@...> wrote:

Hi,

My modified Hot Shot won't stay in gear, if I hit a bump or get off and on the gas it comes out of gear.

The previous owner put in a remote shifter, not sure if it's this shifter or the transmission itself that is the problem.
The shifter does not seem to have any loads on it that would cause it to pull it out of gear.

Any experiences or solutions with these trannies popping out of gear?

Butch

Good info EXCEPT for: "Also cork plug at left rear of cover that held additional spring and detent ball [for 2-3 rail] probably fell out. Tap hole for 3/8ths-24. Blow out chips. Use set screw with lock nut to hold in spring and detent ball, both should be as close to 11/32nds dia. as possible with spring around 3/8ths long and pretty stout. Screw in set screw or bolt till snug then back off till 2-3 rail can move and lock with nut. Had 48 that needed this fix. Seb."

The original Crosley shifter, never had a ball and spring, under the "cork plug". That was there just to keep dirt out.

The only detents were the 1 spring and 2 poppets, located between the two shift rails.

Butcg

On 5/28/2019 11:34 AM, Jim Bollman wrote:
Here are some solution from awhile back. First things to check are the spring loaded poppets in the top of the transmission

Jim...

On May 28, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Mike Piera via Groups.Io <analogmike@...> wrote:

Hi,

My modified Hot Shot won't stay in gear, if I hit a bump or get off and on the gas it comes out of gear.

The previous owner put in a remote shifter, not sure if it's this shifter or the transmission itself that is the problem.
The shifter does not seem to have any loads on it that would cause it to pull it out of gear.

Any experiences or solutions with these trannies popping out of gear?

Steve Perry

I had an old Honda Motorcycle that would do that.. Found the shift forks were worn allowing the gears to move around..
Not sure if a Crosley trans would react the same or not?
Steve

On May 28, 2019, at 10:34 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

Here are some solution from awhile back. First things to check are the spring loaded poppets in the top of the transmission

Jim...

On May 28, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Mike Piera via Groups.Io <analogmike@...> wrote:

Hi,

My modified Hot Shot won't stay in gear, if I hit a bump or get off and on the gas it comes out of gear.

The previous owner put in a remote shifter, not sure if it's this shifter or the transmission itself that is the problem.
The shifter does not seem to have any loads on it that would cause it to pull it out of gear.

Any experiences or solutions with these trannies popping out of gear?

Mike P

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look at those areas, especially the spring loaded poppets, and let you know what I find.