Topics

Hot Shot doors. Plywood lined ??

Tim Hamblen

The boy has been stripping down the doors of the  Youth Project Hot Shot. They have a piece of 1/4 inch plywood bolted to them on the inside , obviously to strengthen them. BUT is this original ?

L.E. Hardee

The short answer is NO.   I have found that you have to actually twist the doors a bit to lift and latch the door with the little bracket at the rear of the door.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:
The boy has been stripping down the doors of the  Youth Project Hot Shot. They have a piece of 1/4 inch plywood bolted to them on the inside , obviously to strengthen them. BUT is this original ?

Tim Hamblen

These doors have a door latch mechanism in the lower part of the door  about 2/3 the way back. Also a small spring loaded, roller  "catch" at the back. Just like the latch on some old cabinets. The plywood is bolted to the door skin via flat head bolts with nuts on the inside. The bolts appear to be thin flat heads or countersunk heads . Have not got that far yet.

L.E. Hardee

All the HotShot doors I have ever seen had a simple "Z" bracket latch that you just lifted and twisted the door enough to slip over the rubber doorway trim.  This kept the door from swinging open when you went around a corner and very little else.  I believe Crosley used the KISS theory of engineering.  (Keep It Simple, Stupid)  Your plywood lining and cabinet latches must have been a former owner's "improvements".

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:
These doors have a door latch mechanism in the lower part of the door  about 2/3 the way back. Also a small spring loaded, roller  "catch" at the back. Just like the latch on some old cabinets. The plywood is bolted to the door skin via flat head bolts with nuts on the inside. The bolts appear to be thin flat heads or countersunk heads . Have not got that far yet.

L.E. Hardee

Correction:  There are two of the Z brackets on each HotShot door.  One on the bottom and one on the rear of the door.  There were no moving parts in the latch brackets.  You just lifted and twisted the door to slide the brackets over the door cutout rubber trim.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 12:45 AM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:
[...]

These have the same latches as any normal Crosley door. Handle inside/outside and slide that catches on the bottom of the door opening. I'll bring a door along to Wauseon to show with the car.This car has other mods to it that we are going to leave as is, and the doors will likely be the same. The goal was to build it with the intention the original build was done (other than that goofy suspension that made no sense). The door mods actually make a lot of sense. improving on what Powel had in mind.I'll also post some pics of the passenger door as he has not stripped it yet.