Topics

Hood support rod

Andy Farley

I can't be the only person to have this problem. When I open the hood on my 48 CC the support rod slides into place like it should to hold the hood up. In about a minute the rod slides back and the hood crashes down on my head.
Does anyone have any idea as to how to keep the hood up other than using a broom stick. My head is getting sore.

Dennis Terdy

Andy
When I want to keep the hood up, I’ve placed a small hose clamp on the rod going to the firewall and just tighten it down to secure the hood in place- again just a short-term fix.
Dennis

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:11 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I can't be the only person to have this problem. When I open the hood on my 48 CC the support rod slides into place like it should to hold the hood up. In about a minute the rod slides back and the hood crashes down on my head.
Does anyone have any idea as to how to keep the hood up other than using a broom stick. My head is getting sore.

L.E. Hardee

Question: which way is the bend orientated on the support rod?  Toward the front of the car or toward the rear?  The rod needs to be past center to stay put.  The bottom of the rod where it slides needs to be more forward than the connection to the hood.  If it is and it still slides back, to save my head, I would get a little clamp to use as a keeper.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:11 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I can't be the only person to have this problem. When I open the hood on my 48 CC the support rod slides into place like it should to hold the hood up. In about a minute the rod slides back and the hood crashes down on my head.
Does anyone have any idea as to how to keep the hood up other than using a broom stick. My head is getting sore.

Andy Farley

The bend is toward the rear. Maybe I'll see if I can move the top of the radiator forward a little bit.
I tied a small bungee cord around the rod and the radiator bracket. It works but it's ugly.

Spock Arnold

I always leave enough of the threading exposed on the front end of the rod. That serves to hold the hood in position.

On Sep 16, 2020 11:11 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I can't be the only person to have this problem. When I open the hood on my 48 CC the support rod slides into place like it should to hold the hood up. In about a minute the rod slides back and the hood crashes down on my head.
Does anyone have any idea as to how to keep the hood up other than using a broom stick. My head is getting sore.

David Stubenvoll

This is how they are supposed to look. this one works perfectly and holds the hood steady as it comes over center.

On Sep 17, 2020, at 6:56 AM, Spock Arnold via groups.io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

I always leave enough of the threading exposed on the front end of the rod. That serves to hold the hood in position.

On Sep 16, 2020 11:11 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I can't be the only person to have this problem. When I open the hood on my 48 CC the support rod slides into place like it should to hold the hood up. In about a minute the rod slides back and the hood crashes down on my head.
Does anyone have any idea as to how to keep the hood up other than using a broom stick. My head is getting sore.

Andy Farley

Hmmmm. Mine doesn't seem to be as far back at the top. It looks like yours is a CD. Does that make a difference?

David Stubenvoll

Mine is a CD. I’d guess that the neutral or center point happens when the slider is about 3 inches behind the radiator. Anything closer to the radiator and you have to lift the hood a little to push it back to lower it.

On Sep 17, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

Hmmmm. Mine doesn't seem to be as far back at the top. It looks like yours is a CD. Does that make a difference?

seb fontana

I just file a notch, doesn't take much.

Jerriffic

 I display my 48 CC at car shows with the hood up.  My biggest fear was the  hood slamming down on a spectator.  My solution is to loop a small chain around the radiator fill neck with a hook on the opposite end securing the vertical support rod.  I found a chain and hook from an old florescent shop light that works perfectly.

Jerry B

Mike S

I went & looked at our '48 and was surprised that it didn't take much of a "bump" for the rod to want to slide back & the hood come down.  Since I had the hood off recently, I noticed that I didn't have the two bolts & nuts very tight.  I snugged them up just a little & now the rod still slides well on the main rod, isn't as easy to accidentally move.

Andy Farley

All very good and appreciated input. Thank You all. I'm sure I'll find one or a combination of your suggestions to be a perfect solution.