Hood Release

Jim Liberty

Guys, here is what I did on my baulkie hood release. Bent a wire around a hammer handle,, twisted the end. Then dipped it ib Black liquid plastic. Drilled a hole in the release. Can hardly tell it is there.     ......Jim.

Paula W

Simple and functional. Nice.
In your photo the body panel that fits between the nose and the radiator is gone. Is that only temporary? Normally it holds the cardboard baffles. I only ask because that was the biggest issue I had in getting to where I could reattach the cable.

Jim Liberty

If you are referring to the cardboard pieces that funnel the air to the radiator, they are in place.     .....Jim.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 9:21 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Simple and functional. Nice.
In your photo the body panel that fits between the nose and the radiator is gone. Is that only temporary? Normally it holds the cardboard baffles. I only ask because that was the biggest issue I had in getting to where I could reattach the cable.

Paula W

(Sorry, now with photos.)
I believe the piece is called the top radiator baffle (page 62 in the manual, but no diagram) and on my car the cardboard is attached to it. I've included a couple photos to help clarify. This is what made getting to my hood latch area a bit of a pain.

Jim Liberty

Paula, that piece is missing on my 1947 pickup. Does it belong there.     ........Jim.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 11:49 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
(Sorry, now with photos.)
I believe the piece is called the top radiator baffle (page 62 in the manual, but no diagram) and on my car the cardboard is attached to it. I've included a couple photos to help clarify. This is what made getting to my hood latch area a bit of a pain.

Attachments:

Paula W

Will other members please chime in to answer Jim's question on whether the top radiator baffle must be there? His 47 pickup didn't come with one.

(Jim, I believe ours is original to the car and in our case we have no other way to secure the side radiator cardboard baffles, also original.  I'll wait to hear what others say.)

Jeffrey Gladden

Yes, that top radiator baffle (metal) should be there as seen in the picture of the green CC model.  It would be fairly easy to make if it is missing but one of the vendors may have them to sell.  Purchasing one from one of the vendors would be the easiest solution.

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:46 PM, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

Will other members please chime in to answer Jim's question on whether the top radiator baffle must be there? His 47 pickup didn't come with one.

(Jim, I believe ours is original to the car and in our case we have no other way to secure the side radiator cardboard baffles, also original.  I'll wait to hear what others say.)

Jim Bollman

My 47 pickup, I just bought, does not have the top piece. Side pieces are also missing but that is very common for cardboard. Mine is an early 47, part of the first 25% by serial number, probably late March early April. I look at a lot of photos, not many show that part of the engine compartment, I saw several with no top piece. I wonder if that was a running change to production.

Jim...

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:57 PM, Jeffrey Gladden via groups.io <jsgladden@...> wrote:

Yes, that top radiator baffle (metal) should be there as seen in the picture of the green CC model.  It would be fairly easy to make if it is missing but one of the vendors may have them to sell.  Purchasing one from one of the vendors would be the easiest solution.

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:46 PM, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

Will other members please chime in to answer Jim's question on whether the top radiator baffle must be there? His 47 pickup didn't come with one.

(Jim, I believe ours is original to the car and in our case we have no other way to secure the side radiator cardboard baffles, also original.  I'll wait to hear what others say.)

Paula W

Is anything lost by not having the top radiator baffle?

(Having had to remove it a few times, I can see a gain.)

Jim Liberty

Thanks guys. I will make one here in my shop. It will certainly help with cooling.    .....Thanks guys, Jim.