Topics

Hinges

Michael Braun

I'm working on a 1947 or 48 Flat Side Pick Up.  I foolishly got rid of the driver side door hinges because they were chopped up and I had two spare sets.  Turns out that my spares do not allow for the door to open as far as it normally would.  The original hinges work fine on the right side.  I can see that the outside of the hinge acts as a "stop" and I assume I can fix the problem by cutting or grinding back the outside of the hinge so as to allow the door to open far enough to get in and out of the car.  Can anyone give me insight as to what hinges I have and if the correct hinges are available?
Thanks
Mike Braun

Michael Braun

OK so it looks like I needed to slow down and take another look at my hinge situation.  Actually what happened is that the hinges on the passenger side were damaged when the door apparently opened violently to far.  The sheet metal “outside” of the hinge that also acks like a stop was cracked and forced backward by the force.  When I mounted the driver side door with my “extra” hinges I found that the door works fine.  I got thrown off when I compared left side and right side hinges and where the stops were.

While I’m at it I also realized that you need to be careful when you use later model seats in a CC.  The later seats are wider than the “Tombstone” seats and they can interfere with the door closing properly unless they are moved toward the center of the car.

Jerriffic

 Another hint regarding seats, measure the width of the seat backrest before having them reupholstered.  I dropped my CC seats off to be reupholstered, after I reinstalled them the backrest scrapes the inner door panel when folding forward with the door closed.  The screw on the panel wants to tear into the material.

 Jerry B.

crosleyshortsport

Michael,   Be sure to install the actual sliding door stops also. It should be a flat piece of metal approximatly 5 inches long with a rubber stop. It sticks out through the center of the door and pins to the body. Service motors or Yankee Crosley parts may very well have a set. If you need a photo, I can provide one.