Topics

hey folks I WON

paul

some may remember several weeks ago I posted about getting the model year corrected on a '47 convertible I had purchased.   after nearly three months I have the authorization in my grubby fist. I can go to the local BMV and the '47 will become a properly titled '47 CC rather than a '49 as the title claimed.  I was blatantly lied to, given incorrect procedures, supplied with half answers to questions I didn't ask, ignored on questions I did ask, and sent on wild goose chases. I was told to have the car inspected by the State Patrol as an assembled hot rod or a rebuilt totaled wreck, the OSP acted like I was crazy, the Crosley didn't fit their criteria. I was told to have the VIN verified like bringing in an out of state car to be titled in Ohio, it was already on an Ohio title. I was instructed to put it back on the trailer and return 250 miles to the county where I purchased it because they had mis-keyed the year, but I could prove the title said 1949 at least 3 owners and 2 counties back, dating to before 1993. I learned that Ohio had gone digital in 1993 and flushed all inactive titles out of the system then, any vehicle in a barn or garage without current 1993 license and a lost title no longer existed. the state did not micro film those titles, there was no record and no way to get a new title. cars suddenly needed a title to be junked, without one a vehicle had to be illegally cut up and destroyed to be scrapped. it is not legal to remove a VIN plate, nor is it legal to scrap parts of a car that show any VIN identification. I was accused of trying to steal the identity of previous owners, most of them likely deceased. ever get the feeling that everyone is saying "go away, bother some one else?"  I think that is what the state was trying to tell me.
I was trying to be cheap and only pay for one title, do the transfer and correction at the same time. this was my mistake. I was told that the correction had been approved and the Memorial Day holiday probably was holding up the mail, a full week after the holiday. no-one in the Columbus (state capital) office could get their computer to tell who had typed the letter or where it was mailed to, only that it was approved and mailed. finally I put the title in my name, then I got lucky, a clerk knew who typed and mailed the decisions of such requests. even though I had supplied them with a copy of the back of the previous title, assigning ownership to me, also my name and phone number for the examiner to get answers to any question he might have, he did not contact or talk to me. the examiner and supervisor of the area, a Mr. Karim Aba, didn't return my calls nor answer emails because he was too busy (on the clock??) preparing to vacation out of the country for a month. talking to this clerk she claimed the letter could not be sent to me because I was not the owner. lastly I convinced her to check her computer, lo and behold I am the official owner, the new title says so. now sweet as candy she can approach the temporary supervisor to approve retyping the authorization and mailing it to me. "this might take a few days." 17 calendar days later I can say I have experienced the system and persevered, the letter came today. she ain't a beautiful car but my proper 1947 CC convertible is coming to Wauseon.
Paul Rinehart

crosleyshortsport

Sorry you had to go through all that Paul !  I look forward to seeing you and your '47 at Wauseon !  Please look me up, so we can at least shake hands !          Jeffrey Ackerman

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 11:36 PM paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:
[...]

Barry Smedley

Wow!

Barry Smedley

[...]

Richard Ranch

Ah yes, the DMV shuffle. I have experienced it before. Five different individuals telling me five separate things, none of them accurate. Big government bureaucracy at it's finest. Nobody wants to help, they just want you to move along.

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018, 3:59:45 AM PDT, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

I must apologize for the length of my story but I had to share, I was ecstatic.  I only wanted my insurer to know exactly what he was covering and to be able to place a 1947 license plate on the CC Crosley. one would think I was trying to deed the governor's mansion into my name, lower the interest rates on some clerk's 401K, and prevent her next grandchild from being born. I was asking to CHANGE HISTORY.  to be fair, I did run into several nice, helpful BMV employees, more than half of the folks I encountered.  the rest of the civil servants couldn't be bothered to set their coffee cups down and be civil. had just one known or taken the time in the beginning to tell me "don't be cheap, streamlining doesn't work, title it in your name first," I could have avoided much of the hassle and saved half of the time. this morning I'm off to the local BMV office with a smile on my face.
  Paul Rinehart

On 7/3/2018 7:40 AM, Richard Ranch via Groups.Io wrote:
Ah yes, the DMV shuffle. I have experienced it before. Five different individuals telling me five separate things, none of them accurate. Big government bureaucracy at it's finest. Nobody wants to help, they just want you to move along.

Terrance Robinson

persistence pays off!

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

fred@...

I think I have a story for the Quarterly! Thanx Paul

Steve

I long ago concluded that the DMV has a requirement that belt size must be greater than IQ.

-Steve M.

[...]

Kenn Cahill

Congratulations, Paul.

It would take too long for me to write the story, but if you ever want a few laughs, I can tell you how it took me five years to get a title for my 1941 Parkway delivery in Ohio.

Since you now have a 1947 title, that makes you absolutely authentic to bring your car for the CC featured class at Wauseon. I look forward to seeing you and a REAL 1947.

Kenn Cahill