Topics

Hemmings Has Included Crosley In Another Story

Jim Bollman

Which one of these four early compact cars would you choose for your Dream Garage?Asking the question would you rather have a Batam, Crosley, Metropolitan or King Midget
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/09/18/which-one-of-these-four-early-compact-cars-would-you-choose-for-your-dream-garage

Crosley is trailing in 3rd or 4th place in the comment section. Metropolitan is the leader. But it is nice to just be nominated :-)

David Stubenvoll

At present I own a ‘49 Crosley wagon, a ‘46 King Midget model 1, and a ‘58 King Midget model 3. I have owned 3 Metropolitans over the years. Each car has their highs and lows.

While marketed in the US, metros were built in England so they can’t really be considered a domestic car. They are however the most roadable/drivable of the lot. The big downside is the Uni-body construction. They are very very difficult to restore if there is any significant rust.

My number two would be Crosleys. Plentiful and simple cars with enough parts availability to allow any decent home shop to restore and enjoy one. Can be driven almost anywhere.

King Midgets are a cross between a lawn mower and a golf cart. A shoestring operation from the start, they managed to keep production rolling from 1946 into the late 1960s. They are fun but certainly not a touring type vehicle. I’ve heard it said that any mechanic with a couple sheets of roofing tin, a stack of steel tubing and an old Briggs and Stratton could build one - not far from the truth. Unconventional but simple to work on. Also the most affordable of the group.

The Bantams, especially the roadsters, claim the prize for defining the term “cute”. Donald Duck drove one in his cartoons. I’ve never owned one but would if the chance presented itself. Fairly rare, arguably exotic, but certainly not inexpensive.