Topics

Getting Started - 51 Super Sport

Tom Gerhard

I inherited a '51 Super Sport that my Dad was in the midst of restoring from the frame up.   The current state is the body is on the frame, and it rolls and steers and has a drive train from the tranny back.    I have a disorganized pile or parts (which were moved in a hurry from his garage), including multiple engines (I know which one came from this car), radiators, interior parts (seats are frames only), and instruments that are not original to the car (it had non-Crosley instruments in it when last driven).   In theory, I have everything plus spares from other Crosleys he owned at various times, but it's possible some parts went missing in the move.

My goal is to have the car drivable and decent looking,  but not necessarily concours level at this time.    I'm a couple years from retirement, so I have somewhat limited time to work on it, but would like to start digging in.   My secondary goal is to figure out what to do with all the "spares" once I know what I need so that I can reclaim some garage space :-)

I plan to start by emptying as much as I can onto the driveway (partly to sort the Crosley from the 194x Cushman Pakage Kar parts that followed it here), to start an inventory of what I actually have so I can start to figure out what to look for.   I'm reasonably mechanically inclined,  so I think I can tackle this, especially with a group like this for advice, but I could really use a roadmap - like what should be done before putting the engine in.     Since I wasn't there when it was taken apart (probably 10-15 years ago now), I can easily see myself spending time on the wrong things and having to redo them.

Looking forward to any info & advice the group can offer.

Here's me working on the car around 1960.     The grill has been closed back up.   You can also see a '47 (that no longer exists) in the background,.

crosleyshortsport

Edited

Tom, I am glad you are keeping the super sport. I will be glad to help/advise all that I can. I have had my '51 super sport for 45 years. I have also been a part of the Crosley Automobile club for 26 years. These folks are the best! I would encourage you to attend the national meet in Wauseon, Ohio, July 5-8. You may send photos to me of parts for identification if you wish. My cell is 585-315-7005 or email  crosleyshortsport@...
Jeffrey Ackerman

On Jun 17, 2017 10:40 PM, "Tom Gerhard" <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jeffrey!   Can't make the meet this year, but will try to plan better for next year.    Who knows, I might even have a car to bring.    Ted DellaCamera was kind enough to visit the car with me before I moved it last year, and thought I was in pretty good shape part-wise, I'm just hoping nothing too hard to find disappeared in the process.

-tom

crosleyshortsport

Keep us in the loop !