Topics

Generator Motor Conversion

wpaxt@...

According to the experts, the Crosley generator motors are great for the cars but require 2 - modifications: 1. Replacement of the tower shaft; 2.  Removal of a decompression spacer between the block and the crankcase.  I'm really curious as to what this spacer looks like.  Does anyone have a picture?  And has anyone tried using a generator motor without removing the spacer (which I'm told was to allow the motor to run on lower quality gas)?

Bill in S. CA

Jerry Summey

With the spacer/shim you have around 21 HP and without 26.5 HP. That is quite a percentage loss.
When my dad built his 47 Roundside he used a generator engine. It ran OK on level ground but would not go up any sort of grade worth a crap.
I rebuilt the engine in 2011 and removed the shim, it made a world of difference.
The shim is sandwiched between the cylinder head and the crankcase.
When you are putting it back together the .004 lash between the gears that mesh together at the bottom of the tower shaft is critical.
Jerry

In a message dated 6/7/2018 7:00:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, wpaxt@... writes:

According to the experts, the Crosley generator motors are great for the cars but require 2 - modifications: 1. Replacement of the tower shaft; 2.  Removal of a decompression spacer between the block and the crankcase.  I'm really curious as to what this spacer looks like.  Does anyone have a picture?  And has anyone tried using a generator motor without removing the spacer (which I'm told was to allow the motor to run on lower quality gas)?

Bill in S. CA

Butch

Bill,

You don't need to replace the towershaft. You can get by, by just re-timing the camshaft by one tooth.

The engine runs OK, with the spacer in place but will be down on power, quite a bit.

As far as what the spacer plate looks like, it looks almost exactly like the cylinder base gasket, except it's made out of steel, rather than paper.

Yes, the military CIBA engines, make excellent car engines.

Butch

On 6/7/2018 7:00 PM, wpaxt via Groups.Io wrote:
According to the experts, the Crosley generator motors are great for the cars but require 2 - modifications: 1. Replacement of the tower shaft; 2.  Removal of a decompression spacer between the block and the crankcase.  I'm really curious as to what this spacer looks like.  Does anyone have a picture?  And has anyone tried using a generator motor without removing the spacer (which I'm told was to allow the motor to run on lower quality gas)?

Bill in S. CA

As Butch already said you don't have to replace the tower shaft, just make the appropriate adjustments. You do need to change the magneto for a distributor unless you want a magneto that has no timing advance. The pan needs to be modified or replaced with a stock pan. The military pan can be modified to work if you want a cast aluminum pan that is squarish. The military pan has an additional chamber in the bottom that can be cut off and the edges ground down. You will also have to pull off the governor from the back of the block and make a plate to cover the hole.

I run a military engine in my FarmOroad with the space still installed. When I need to pull the engine for some other reason I will probably remove the spacer but it run good and will go 50+ mph down the road so I haven't bothered. My Dad did the conversion and either didn't know about the spacer or didn't want to get in that deep in converting it to car use.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 7:00 PM, wpaxt via Groups.Io <wpaxt@...> wrote:

According to the experts, the Crosley generator motors are great for the cars but require 2 - modifications: 1. Replacement of the tower shaft; 2.  Removal of a decompression spacer between the block and the crankcase.  I'm really curious as to what this spacer looks like.  Does anyone have a picture?  And has anyone tried using a generator motor without removing the spacer (which I'm told was to allow the motor to run on lower quality gas)?

Bill in S. CA

wpaxt@...

Is there a gasket between the cylinder head and the crankcase?

Jerry Summey

Yes.
I will try to make time to answer your earlier email later on this evening.
If you don't have one you need to get a Crosley Service Manual from Service Motors. It is extremely informative.
Jerry

In a message dated 6/8/2018 6:34:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, wpaxt@... writes:

Is there a gasket between the cylinder head and the crankcase?

wpaxt@...

Butch,

This is really interesting stuff.  So I'm clear, I can use the existing tower shaft as long as I re-time the camshaft by one tooth.  So which way to I do that retiming?  Forgive my ignorance but do I move one tooth forward or backward?

Bill

wpaxt@...

And by the way, to all of you guys who responded, I really appreciate all of your help and advice.

Bill

Butch

Bill,

As I recall, you retard it, but I've not messed with one for several years.

Butch

On 6/13/2018 10:16 AM, wpaxt via Groups.Io wrote:
Butch,

This is really interesting stuff.  So I'm clear, I can use the existing tower shaft as long as I re-time the camshaft by one tooth.  So which way to I do that retiming?  Forgive my ignorance but do I move one tooth forward or backward?

Bill

wpaxt@...

Thanks, Butch.  I'll give it a go once I get the motor off.

Will keep you posted.

Bill