Topics

Gauge Bezel Removal

SteveC
 

Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 

Spock Arnold
 

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 

shannon white
 

I too would like those instructions


On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:01 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io
<tmkldwwj@...> wrote:
Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 

dale@servicemotors.net
 

Steve,
You have to pry off the bezel but be extremely careful.  Taking it off is the easy part.  When you put it back on thats when it gets difficult try to bend it back around.
We here at Service Motors do restore the gauges.   Just give us a call 866-449-0029.



On Oct 15, 2019, at 10:01 PM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:

Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 

Plandersen
 

Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 


Spock Arnold
 

I found both of them, but then couldn't remember who they were for.  Give me your address and I'll send them.  If they are good enough, you can send radio in return.
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 10:47 AM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 



SteveC
 

So...back to the subject please. Dave I PM'd you. Haven't heard back. 

Plandersen
 

How do you personal message someone?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 17, 2019, at 8:53 PM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:

So...back to the subject please. Dave I PM'd you. Haven't heard back. 

crosleyshortsport
 

When I did the round cluster guage and speedometer restoration, I was also trying to figure out the best way to get them apart. I started with the speedometer because I had two of them, I figured to learn on one and do the next one properly. I started on the flat bench and used a 12 inch square piece of dense carpet pad. I then laid the speedometer glass down on the pad. I realized that the chrome bezel must have been pressed on and crimped with a machine. I used a 10 inch older flat blade screw driver and ground the blade down very thin. I then held the speedo very tightly with one hand as I worked the blade between the bezel and the housing. Slowly I turned the blade sideways to force the bezel outward, it causes the backside of your bezel to be jagged and pointed out every quarter inch or so. It will take about a half hour or so to get all the way around, and then you may need to go around again to open a bit further. Then be careful to remove, as you do not want to break the glass. If the bezel needs to be rechromed, send it out. Now you can restore everything inside by re-painting and with new decals from our clubs fine suppliers. Once you have the inside restored, now you need to get that bezel back on. I used my bench vise, and here is how I did it. You do not want to mar the bezels chrome finish, so I started by covering the vise jaws with plastic electrical tape, I believe I used 4 layers of tape on each jaw, and I stretched them on so they would not move. I screwed the vise jaws in so they were approximately one quarter inch open, and maybe even three eighths to start with, I then placed the glass on the housing, and set the bezel back in place. I then placed the bezel on end at one side of the vise jaws. Now put presser on the top of the bezel with one hand and roll the bezel slowly across the jaws of the vise. You should now see all your jagged edges closing in on the housing. Now keep closing the jaws a bit at a time, and then rolling with pressure. It should take about four times around to completely close it up as it once was. Hope this helps, I did end up restoring both speedometers at the same time, they both came out very well.  Jeffrey Ackerman


On Fri, Oct 18, 2019, 12:47 AM Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
How do you personal message someone?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 17, 2019, at 8:53 PM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:

So...back to the subject please. Dave I PM'd you. Haven't heard back. 

Spock Arnold
 

Im sorry it took me so long.  I was in Hershey and then came back home to a few minor disasters.  Here are the instructions


On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:54:02 PM EDT, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:


So...back to the subject please. Dave I PM'd you. Haven't heard back. 

Spock Arnold
 

Ill try to get your parts out tomorrow.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:47:41 AM EDT, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:


Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 


Spock Arnold
 

I haven't heard from you.  Did the parts arrive?

On Oct 16, 2019 10:47 AM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 



Plandersen
 

I got them yesterday. I have been ay meetings the last two days. I happen to be Mayor here and we are really growing. Anyway what you sent looks great.  I will get your radio out soon. Thanks again. 


On Oct 31, 2019, at 18:31, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:


I haven't heard from you.  Did the parts arrive?

On Oct 16, 2019 10:47 AM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open? 



Spock Arnold
 

No rush I just wanted to make sure instead of trying to find that damn postage reciept!!(lol).  I hope they work out for you. 

On Oct 31, 2019 10:31 PM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
I got them yesterday. I have been ay meetings the last two days. I happen to be Mayor here and we are really growing. Anyway what you sent looks great.  I will get your radio out soon. Thanks again. 


On Oct 31, 2019, at 18:31, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:


I haven't heard from you.  Did the parts arrive?

On Oct 16, 2019 10:47 AM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
Dave we had talked about trading a radio for a flywheel cover and wiring harness.  Are you still interested?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...





On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:59 AM, Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

Steve, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions
Dave Anspach 

On Oct 16, 2019 1:01 AM, SteveC <stevecournoyer@...> wrote:
Round speedo and round multi/combination gauge: I need to disassemble mine to clean the gauge faces and glass. How do I remove the bezels? Are they supposed to rotate and pull off? Do I have to pry the backside of the bezels open?