Topics

gaskets for BRAJE accessories

Dave Shipman

where can I pick up the cork gaskets for the Braje valve cover, water jackets, and oil pan? Through Braje himself or does the venters reproduce these? Thanks

Jim Bollman

Standard gaskets for a cast-iron engine work fine for the valve cover and side plates, I assume the pan gaskets works also but never owned one of those to try.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 4:16 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

where can I pick up the cork gaskets for the Braje valve cover, water jackets, and oil pan? Through Braje himself or does the venters reproduce these? Thanks

David

If this is a race application, the Braje sumps are usually run without a gasket. The idea is to make the lower end more rigid, and a cork gasket interferes with this. Use a silicone sealer on the crankcase/sump joint.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:04 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] gaskets for BRAJE accessories

Standard gaskets for a cast-iron engine work fine for the valve cover and side plates, I assume the pan gaskets works also but never owned one of those to try.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 4:16 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

dale@servicemotors.net

Service motors has them. 866-449-0029

On Jan 7, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Dave Shipman <officershipman@...> wrote:

Dave Shipman

PERFECT! Thanks Dale, it’s not for race application. and regarding the strange oil filter- i found a bunch of CUNO oil filters on ebay that look just like it.

Dave Shipman
(510)2255566

BARRY SEEL <CROSLEY19@AOL.COM>

I beg to differ. If you run it without a pan gasket the rear main cork will split in two when you tighten it and then a big oil leak. Nick told me how to install the pan gasket and what to use on the front and rear corks.
Barry

David

I recently sold my Hmod.  The car had done 54 race events without a failure of the rear cork seal.  All were done with a Braje sump without a gasket, except the first four events.  In the first four events I was running an engine prepared by Bob Graham, and it broke a valve—very spectacular cloud of smoke and steam.  I no longer use Crosley valves.

If I were to be concerned about the rear strip of cork breaking, I would substitute a thin strip of rubber (still with silicone sealer).

Since selling my Hmod, I have been racing a Saab powered ESR.  I just completed (mostly) a new Hmod which puts me back racing with Crosley power.  Other than a small strip of cork at the rear seal, the only cork gasket is under the cam cover.  Not to open another can of worms, but I don’t use gaskets under the side covers, either.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 3:06 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] gaskets for BRAJE accessories

I beg to differ. If you run it without a pan gasket the rear main cork will split in two when you tighten it and then a big oil leak. Nick told me how to install the pan gasket and what to use on the front and rear corks.
Barry