Gas tank?

Don Pitchford

Does anyone have a spare gas tank with a good top half. I'm working on one with a perfect bottom half, but the top half needs a lot of work. I'm located in Springfield, Illinois.
Thanks,
Don Pitchford

Jim Liberty

Have you considered a new SS tank from Service Motors. I'm putting one in my '47 Pickup.    ....Jim.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 10:16 AM Don Pitchford via groups.io <w9ebk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have a spare gas tank with a good top half. I'm working on one with a perfect bottom half, but the top half needs a lot of work. I'm located in Springfield, Illinois.
Thanks,
Don Pitchford

Don Pitchford

I was considering one but the price tag is a bit much for what I am doing at this time. If I do a complete frame-off on my Hot Shot I might go with a new stainless steel tank. I also found a company that makes aluminum gas tanks to order. As soon as I get my technical drawings finished I'll be getting a quote from them. Until then, I'm just trying to get this one on running.
Thanks,
Don Pitchford

On Saturday, March 6, 2021, 03:40:17 PM CST, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

Have you considered a new SS tank from Service Motors. I'm putting one in my '47 Pickup.    ....Jim.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 10:16 AM Don Pitchford via groups.io <w9ebk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have a spare gas tank with a good top half. I'm working on one with a perfect bottom half, but the top half needs a lot of work. I'm located in Springfield, Illinois.
Thanks,
Don Pitchford

Brian Dlapa

have a good tank

On Saturday, March 6, 2021, 06:29:48 PM CST, Don Pitchford via groups.io <w9ebk@...> wrote:

[...]

Brett Wright

You can coat the inside of a bad  tank with an epoxy system by Caswell. Takes care of all kinds of problems. Lots of work though. Check them out on line.

Brett Wright

On Mar 7, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Brian Dlapa via groups.io <treestumpbvd@...> wrote:

[...]

I personally had bad long term luck with the tank coatings. I've tried several. That is just me however.   .......Jim.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM Brett Wright <bwright@...> wrote:
You can coat the inside of a bad  tank with an epoxy system by Caswell. Takes care of all kinds of problems. Lots of work though. Check them out on line.

Brett Wright

On Mar 7, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Brian Dlapa via groups.io <treestumpbvd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

have a good tank

On Saturday, March 6, 2021, 06:29:48 PM CST, Don Pitchford via groups.io <w9ebk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Makes a good solution for someone who would rather spend time than money though. Very important to follow the instructions precisely. Plus, I believe the epoxy system is the best of the coating systems.

Brett Wright

On Mar 7, 2021, at 5:57 PM, Jim Liberty via groups.io <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

[...]

Can't argue with you on that Brett. I'm retired and run a hobby shop mostly dedicated to 356 Porsches. I restore most everything myself.  ....Jim    libertymotorsports356.net

On Mar 7, 2021, at 5:57 PM, Jim Liberty via groups.io <jimliberty356=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

John Holsopple

You may want to consider the fuel tank repair kit from Bill Hirsch auto restoration.  The guys on the Crosley "Chat Room" recommended it.  I purchased it and put it in my FOR tank. Was easy to use. I guess I'm like Brett, more time than money.  :)

John Holsopple

On March 7, 2021, at 6:54 PM, Brett Wright <bwright@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim, Great article in the latest 356 Register. I have 3 356’s SC coupe, C coupe and a T6 B Cabriolet. I also have a 47 CC Crosley Patina car that gathers a lot of smiles.

Brett Wright

On Mar 7, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Jim Liberty via groups.io <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Brett, it will be my last 356. I've probably done 50. It is a very rare car as it is the last Glaser to leave their factory. It has been a delight to work on.    .....Jim.

On Mar 7, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Jim Liberty via groups.io <jimliberty356=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

This is my Patina 47 Cc Sedan. No rust but plenty of paint failure
Brett Wright

On Mar 7, 2021, at 8:24 PM, Jim Liberty via groups.io <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

[...]

David Stubenvoll

I’ve used the Bill Hirsch system several times over the years with excellent results. Model A’s, Harley Hummer, a Maytag wash machine engine and most recently my CD wagon. Every one was, and still is, a success story.

Don Pitchford

Brian,
Thanks for letting me know that you have a gas tank available. I found one locally in a parts car.
Don Pitchford