Topics

Fuel Pump Installation

I just purchased a tidy ’52 Super Station Wagon. It had a 12 volt electric fuel pump installed on the left front fender. I purchased a new original equipment mechanical one from Service Motors. Just a completely ignorant question: The pump bar should be placed vertically & between the cam & the pump (or right of the cam), not below & to the left of the cam, correct?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

dale@servicemotors.net

The arm rides on the camshaft directly.  The can has/is an eccentric and pumps the pump.  Actually the fuel pump will only mount one way.

On Jan 18, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:

I just purchased a tidy ’52 Super Station Wagon. It had a 12 volt electric fuel pump installed on the left front fender. I purchased a new original equipment mechanical one from Service Motors. Just a completely ignorant question: The pump bar should be placed vertically & between the cam & the pump (or right of the cam), not below & to the left of the cam, correct?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

crosleyshortsport

Always remember, there is no ignorant or stupid or dumb question if you do not know the answer. It is how we learn. Please join the Crosley family at the Crosley Automobile Club 2020 "The Vision Continues" national meet. July 6 - 11 Fulton County Fairgrounds, Wauseon, Ohio.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 PM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
The arm rides on the camshaft directly.  The can has/is an eccentric and pumps the pump.  Actually the fuel pump will only mount one way.

On Jan 18, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:

I just purchased a tidy ’52 Super Station Wagon. It had a 12 volt electric fuel pump installed on the left front fender. I purchased a new original equipment mechanical one from Service Motors. Just a completely ignorant question: The pump bar should be placed vertically & between the cam & the pump (or right of the cam), not below & to the left of the cam, correct?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Butch

Tilden,

The fuel pump can be difficult to install and it is possible to install the arm incorrectly, not easy but possible and damage WILL occur.
While carefully feeling the lobe on the back of the camshaft gear, rotate the engine BY HAND, do NOT use the starter, until the lobe is furthest away from the pump mounting hole.
Lean the pump back, until the arm will barely clear the inside edge if the engine, bring it up, then tilt the pump upright to correct mounting position.
If the arm is in the correct position, you should feel some spring pressure resisting you. Start both bolts in and press the pump further into place, just to make sure it doesn't bind.
It's much easier to see and do, with the cam comer off, but that usually requires a new cam cover gasket.
A little grease on the arm, or cam gear lobe,  is also a good idea.
I hope this makes sense, it's easier for me to do it, than describe how to do it.

Butch

On 1/18/2020 10:23 PM, crosleyshortsport wrote:
[...]

Thanx everyone.  Those were very good answers. I thought that was the way to do it, but I didn't want to cause damage on my first try.

PATRICIA GRITTI

You are correct tilden. Several months ago I added an online fuel pump to my VC. Was trying to improve hard starting. Now am reading an online fuel pump should not feed through the mechanical pump! DUH! Will try to do the job right next time.
Don

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

PATRICIA GRITTI

You are correct Tilden. Several months ago I installed an inline fuel pump in my VC. Was trying to improve hard starting. Now am reading that an inline fuel pump should not pump through the mechanical pump. Will try to do better next time.