Topics

fuel line fitting leakage

Paula W

I have a leaking fitting on the fuel pump side of the line to the carburetor. (See photo.) We removed and reattached it as part of trouble shooting a starting problem.
Unfortunately, after reattaching the fuel side fitting now leaks. I tried tightening as much as I could but started to strip the nut.

Should it be this hard to tighten?
Did we damage it, hence need to replace the line and fittings?
What is the wrench size? 7/16 came the closest for us, but as not perfect we ended up stripping the nut.

I did this to myself and don't want to do it again if possible.

L.E. Hardee

I think I see teflon tape.  The brass fittings use a bevel joint, sometimes called an inverted flare to seal.  Teflon tape can cause the threads to tighten before the sealing surfaces mate.  Undo it, remove all the tape and try it again. Be careful not to cross thread the fitting.  That was my first reaction to your description before I saw the picture.   Good luck.  Worst case, buy a new brass elbow fitting.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 8:07 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
I have a leaking fitting on the fuel pump side of the line to the carburetor. (See photo.) We removed and reattached it as part of trouble shooting a starting problem.
Unfortunately, after reattaching the fuel side fitting now leaks. I tried tightening as much as I could but started to strip the nut.

Should it be this hard to tighten?
Did we damage it, hence need to replace the line and fittings?
What is the wrench size? 7/16 came the closest for us, but as not perfect we ended up stripping the nut.

I did this to myself and don't want to do it again if possible.

Paula W

Thank you - what I think may look like Teflon tape is bright glare from the the light against the leaking fuel.
I'll try again, but I think I need to determine the correct wrench size before doing more damage. :-/

On Sunday, October 11, 2020, 5:44:32 PM PDT, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

[...]

crosleyshortsport

You may have cross threaded your fuel line unto the brass fitting or over tightened into the brass fitting and stripped it. I have done the same thing. Just replace the brass fitting. Remember these type of connections do not need any teflon tape or paste. The flare causes it to seal when tight. Always hold a wrench on the brass fitting when tightening the steel fitting into it. Also always start the steel line into the brass by hand. It may take a couple tries to get it started straight. If you can not find the proper lines or brass fittings locally, our fine vendors can supply them to you.  Jeffrey

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020, 9:36 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
[...]

dalef62

Check around the elbow fitting, I have found a lot of them with cracks at the thin part.

dkduster70@...

Edited

Hello Paula.
I regards to your question about the wrench size for the fitting, I have seen many new replacement fittings for different applications that have a metric wrench size, even though the threads are not metric. I believe it may have something to do with the new fittings coming from overseas. If that is a new replacement fitting, you may want to try a 11 or 12 millimeter wrench and see if it is a better fit.

Dennis Terdy

Paula,
I have purchased oil/gas resistant thread tape (pretty costly) that has been very successful in sealing threaded fittings for my Crosley gas line treaded fittings and oil leaks.

Dennis

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Dennis Terdy

Paula W

Okay - I now have a plan.

  • Materials - new fuel line, elbow fitting, metric wrench set (I should have one anyway)
  • Attach the fuel line to the oil pump using the advice received
I'm hoping not to need the tape given it should work without tape, but I'm grateful to know about it.
Will let you know if I'm successful. Thank you!

Paula W

Edited

Just to close this out:

A new fuel line with fittings from Service Motors, a 1/2 inch wrench on the non-flared end and  elbow fitting, and a 11mm wrench on the flared fitting did the trick. I was also very careful in the early threading.
No fuel leakage.

Thank you everyone!

crosleyshortsport

Glad to hear you solved the issue