Topics

front shock absorbers

Brett Wright

Someone must have experience with shock absorber action. My front shocks seem single action. No dampening on the up stroke (spring compressed) but great dampening on the downstroke (Spring rebound). Is that correct?. They are disconnected so I can test them. If they need rebuilt, any suggestion of a place to get that done or parts to do it myself.
Brett Wright

Brett Wright

I have not checked the rear ones yet

Butch

Brett,

A year and model would help, but since you mentioned rebuilding them, I assume that you're talking about the lever (knee) action shocks.

Yes, they are single acting, yes, you can service them yourself.

Service is mainly changing the fluid in them and possibly replacing the seals.

Butch

On 4/18/2020 8:56 PM, Brett Wright wrote:
Someone must have experience with shock absorber action. My front shocks seem single action. No dampening on the up stroke (spring compressed) but great dampening on the downstroke (Spring rebound). Is that correct?. They are disconnected so I can test them. If they need rebuilt, any suggestion of a place to get that done or parts to do it myself.
Brett Wright

Brett Wright

Interesting, I met rebuilding but I believe mine are fine if they are intended to be single action. 1947 CC sedan lever action shocks. Are the rears single action too?

seb fontana

My late 47 CC has lever action but they are adjustable double action Houdalies. Although the holes are in the frame I've never seen a pre 48 [even pre war]  that has the single action Delco. There are shops that rebuild them if needed...

Ron D.

While I have my lever shocks out, I'm thinking I might as well change the probably original, 71 year old oil. What type of oil goes in the lever shocks? Is it something to be sourced locally, or is it a hard to find, super expensive fluid?

Brett Wright

Seb, this is a late response to your comment, I am going to check the manufacturer name on my shocks