Topics

Forged steel crankshaft vs cast

R Howard

How to identify which engines had the forged steel crank? New to Crosley and trying to learn. Thanks............Will

Jim Bollman

Here is a link on the club web page that answers a lot of questions on cranks http://crosleyautoclub.com/CrosleyGarage/Engine/cranks.htm

The nodular iron (I think what you are calling forged steel) cranks are visually identifiable by the taper on the front edge of the first crank bearing but only visible when the pan is dropped, there are pictures in the above link. All cranks that have 6 holes for mounting the flywheel (only 3 are used normally) are nodular iron but not all nodular iron have 6 holes. Most/All military generator engines have the nodular iron crank and most/all have a C stamped as part of the serial number. Add to all the confusion many Crosley engines have been rebuilt and parts have been  mixed and matched. So it really comes down to a visual inspection. The switch over engine number from cast to nodular iron has never been found but from observation it probably is some place around engine number 130000. Again because of mix and match rebuilds, inspection is needed to be sure.

There are cranks better than the nodular iron but are very hard to find and very expensive if the owner knows what they have. Mostly used for high end racing engines. The nodular iron are very strong and dependable.

Hope that gets you started.

Jim...

On May 25, 2017, at 6:34 AM, howardman42 via Groups.Io <howardman42@...> wrote:

How to identify which engines had the forged steel crank? New to Crosley and trying to learn. Thanks............Will

On May 25, 2017, at 6:34 AM, howardman42 via Groups.Io <howardman42@...> wrote:

How to identify which engines had the forged steel crank? New to Crosley and trying to learn. Thanks............Will

R Howard

Thanks Jim: good info there...........

Will

On Friday, May 26, 2017 6:11 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

[...]

David

Are you planning to build a race car?  If so, we could chat about a forged steel crank.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

R Howard

I was thinking of something along the line of a cycle car with Crosley components. At this point, just thinking.

Building a "T" Ford speedster at the time; using a Crosley/Ross steering gear. In looking for the gear, I liked what I was seeing of the Crosley and thought it would make a neat cycle car. The engine is such a short stroke, I would like to see 6,000 at times; forged crank would be nice.

Thanks................................Will

On Friday, May 26, 2017 11:16 AM, drlamber via Groups.Io <drlamber@...> wrote:

Are you planning to build a race car?  If so, we could chat about a forged steel crank.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

A properly setup stock engine with a good crank can do 7500rpm. Valves start to float at about 7800. A properly setup engine for racing can do a lot more.

Jim...

On May 26, 2017, at 1:30 PM, R Howard via Groups.Io <howardman42@...> wrote:

[...]

Barry Smedley

I knew of some TQ Midgets that were turning 10 grand but I think they had a short life.

                           Barry Smedley

[...]

Image removed by sender.

• “This message contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message." (English) • "Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original." (French)

Steve

Croftons had the military engine with steel crank and strapped mains.  That was critical to reduce crankshaft flex.  I listened to one of those turn 12,000 rpm.  But as you said, Barry.  Sustaining that would mean a short life.

[...]

CROSLEY19@...

 Forged steel cranks are heated steel billets that are stamped into shape, thus compressing the molecules, and making a much stronger piece of metal. The nodular iron cranks are still cast iron cranks, but much better than the early cast iron. Forged steel cranks were used in the military engines, and some of the last Crosley auto engines. If you pick up a Crosley forged crank by the snout, and lightly tap one of the counter weights with a small hammer it will ring like a church bell. The nodular crank will make a thud sound.
Barry