Flashing the regulator

Andy Farley

I read somewhere that every time you replace the battery you need to flash the voltage regulator. This suggests to me that every time you disconnect the battery you need to flash the voltage voltage regulator. This doesn't seem reasonable to me. I would really appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this subject.
Thank You in advance.

Jim Bollman

Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of such things will jump in if I’m too far off. You don’t flash the voltage regulator you flash the generator to polarize it. As far as I know you only have to do it once when installing a generator that you don’t know is polarized. I have never polarized a generator and have not had any problems that I know of.

Since your next question might be how to polarize a generator? Here is a description I saved from awhile back when it was discussed.

“On our bench test stand, I polarize the generators directly, no regulator involved. The generator is grounded, then flash to the armature terminal of the generator itself, before spinning them for an output test.” Or same results. "Heavy wire between that Bat and the ARM terminals on the regulator. (Not the field terminal!) momentarily."

Jim...

On Aug 10, 2021, at 11:12 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

I read somewhere that every time you replace the battery you need to flash the voltage regulator. This suggests to me that every time you disconnect the battery you need to flash the voltage voltage regulator. This doesn't seem reasonable to me. I would really appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this subject.
Thank You in advance.

Jim Liberty

I have a shut off on my cars. I do not attend to the generator ever after the first time. Sometimes it isn't necessary at all.