Familiar

Theodoric Dodgeville

Long time reader, first time posting.  Bit computer illiterate so hope I'm doing this in right place.
   Does this car look familiar to anyone? All running gear, gauges,brakes, lights, hubcaps are Crosley.  The only # I can find is on engine. The drivers side inner fender has holes like a vin plate used to be there. It was a lien sale situation, the owner had passed away, and came with no paperwork or lic plates.
  I've heard manufacturers had put their own bodies on crosley rolling chassis. It just seems odd that crosley name would still be all over it.
  I can supply any pictures if needed. I really appreciate any input.
   Lastly and maybe most importantly, I put a picture up of the waterpump. It's in sorry shape. The impeller froze and the connection to generator snapped. I've sent pics to rebuild people with no favorable responses. It's a 3 bolt. Can anyone direct me to one in better shape?
   The good news is after a carb cleaning and fresh fluids she fired right to life and purrs happily.

  Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted

David Stubenvoll

Not sure but it would sure look good next to my Jeep!

paul

Ted,
I can't help with your questions but likely it was re-bodied in a garage or a shop possibly for a specific use.  A few years ago I found a similar Crosley that had been fitted with a "Jeep" style body.  Mine had supposedly been done for a bear to drive under the Big Top in a circus. I have found nothing nor has anyone suggested that someone had built several,  our cars have many similar characteristics but also many differences. yours appears to have been better thought out and done by someone who measured twice before cutting once, mine is much more crudely done.  Paul in Ohio

Theodoric Dodgeville

I wud have loved to have seen a bear cruising around in that. There are definitely similarities between the 2. Except for the headlights, it's almost a twin.. I would have liked to see it b4 being cut up..
 Odd it's exactly the same red. Do you know the year of it?
    This thing was used as a golf cart by the owner of the course in Santa Paula California.  I was told it was given to Billy Barty new as a promotion for Crosley. Billy and a friend would drive it out from the valley and play golf away from everyone.  The owner bought it from him. Great story but who the heck knows.

Jim Bollman

Can't argue one way or the other on the Billy Barty part of your story but I would say it was made as a one off by somebody other than Crosley. The Jeep was very popular after WW-2 and many Crosley got made into mini jeeps, some are very good. Very simple body style to make with mostly straight bends.

Without seeing some pictures of the chassis/suspension I can be sure but I would say it was made from a 1946 or 47 Crosley. To better identify the engine the serial number on the side of the crankcase to the rear of the distribuitor. It looks to be an early engine that was rebuilt from a CoBRA block to a cast iron block engine.

The waterpump is from an early engine with the small generator that was used from 1946 through most of 1947. Most of the small generators were swapped out for the larger one to get more charging ability and had to switch to a slightly different water pump so the old style don't show up a lot. You should be able to get a serviceable or rebuildable pump from one of our vendors. I'm pretty sure Edwards Crosley has them in his stash of parts.
http://crosleyautoclub.com/PartsSuppliers.html

Crosley normally put their VIN/Serial Number on the firewall.

Should make a fun car for you.

Steve

Regarding Billy Barty….. How is the driver’s position for you?  If this car was given to Bill Barty, I would believe you would have a very challenging time driving the car.  I personally knew Billy Barty.  He was 3’ 10” tall and needed to have adapters for hand controls to drive any vehicle and he carried those with him whenever he travelled.  I will confirm he was a golfer.  He never mentioned owning a Crosley to me.

Not saying your story isn’t true, but I would expect anything specially built for him would fit his stature.  All that said, it is a very nice example of a one-off Crosley.  Enjoy your Crosley.

-Steve M.