Topics

Engine won't start

Joe Lofink

Help! I'm restoring a tractor that has a Crosley CIBA engine that I bought used to replace the original Cobra engine. Test ran it when I first bought then cleaned it up for the tractor. This was a couple of years ago. Back on the project now and tried to start the engine and she will not even pop most of the time, even when using starting fluid. I installed new hoses, gaskets, points, condenser, distributor cap, 6 volt coil, wires and plugs. Timing light shows that I have it set at 12 degrees BTDC, points are set at .020 and plugs at .025. While cranking coil wire shows a nice blue spark when I hold it to the block. Check compression and all cylinders are right around 80 psi. Any suggestions on what to try next. 

Mike

Did you Check for spark at the spark plugs ? 

On Sep 1, 2018, at 5:08 PM, Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos@...> wrote:

Help! I'm restoring a tractor that has a Crosley CIBA engine that I bought used to replace the original Cobra engine. Test ran it when I first bought then cleaned it up for the tractor. This was a couple of years ago. Back on the project now and tried to start the engine and she will not even pop most of the time, even when using starting fluid. I installed new hoses, gaskets, points, condenser, distributor cap, 6 volt coil, wires and plugs. Timing light shows that I have it set at 12 degrees BTDC, points are set at .020 and plugs at .025. While cranking coil wire shows a nice blue spark when I hold it to the block. Check compression and all cylinders are right around 80 psi. Any suggestions on what to try next. 

L.E. Hardee

80psi seems low.  I would think it would take over 100psi to fire up.   Have you tried putting about a tablespoon or so of Automatic Trans fluid down each plug hole, spin it over a few times and run your compression check again.  The compression should  come up to 110 or more .   Sometimes the cylinder walls dry out while engine is sitting up. 

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos@...> wrote:

Joe Lofink

Yes I did. Pulled the plug and held it to the block to ground it and got a good spark there.

Joe Lofink

Was wondering about that but couldn't find any specs on compression. I'll give that a shot.

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

Sure about your timing marks ? Some flywheels have too many marks.

In a message dated 9/1/2018 5:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, lofinjos@... writes:

Was wondering about that but couldn't find any specs on compression. I'll give that a shot.

crosleyshortsport

I tend to lean toward the dry cylinders. A crosley that a friend of mine had been working on for several years, had the same problem. Spray some WD-40 into the cylinders through the spark plug holes , let it sit overnight. It still may take 20 times to get it to fire up. I use carb and choke cleaner to fire up my crosleys each year in the spring. Fill that barrel with a good 3 seconds of spray. Be sure to use non-ethynol fuel.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 5:56 PM A50CROSLEYTRK via Groups.Io <A50CROSLEYTRK=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

In a message dated 9/1/2018 5:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

Gabriel Haddad

I just went through cylinder compression issues. I was told 140 to 150 for proper compression.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 6:19 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
I tend to lean toward the dry cylinders. A crosley that a friend of mine had been working on for several years, had the same problem. Spray some WD-40 into the cylinders through the spark plug holes , let it sit overnight. It still may take 20 times to get it to fire up. I use carb and choke cleaner to fire up my crosleys each year in the spring. Fill that barrel with a good 3 seconds of spray. Be sure to use non-ethynol fuel.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 5:56 PM A50CROSLEYTRK via Groups.Io <A50CROSLEYTRK=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

In a message dated 9/1/2018 5:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

Jim Bollman

I have started engines that have set a long time with less than 80lbs so I don't really think that is the problem. If you had bad valves it would be less, probably just dry cylinders and possibly stuck rings that will free up when you get the engine warmed up a few times.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Jim...

On Sep 1, 2018, at 6:25 PM, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

I just went through cylinder compression issues. I was told 140 to 150 for proper compression.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 6:19 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

In a message dated 9/1/2018 5:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

Joe Lofink

Only two marks on the flywheel. Pulled the number one plug and brought the Piston up to TDC on the compression stroke and the one mark is center in the window and the other mark is advanced from this one. Timed it on this mark.

Joe Lofink

Just went down to the shop and pulled the plugs and sprayed a bunch of Kroil in each cylinder. Best penetrating oil I ever used. I'll go down in the morning and see if this helped. Thanks for the advice.

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

Lets hope it is something simple .  Plug Wires 1342 counter clock wise # 1 to front   Unless was messed up before you got to it..   I've did that .   Dad had insulation going though dist. housing after points change gave him problems on next trip and was intermittent.

In a message dated 9/1/2018 5:56:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, A50CROSLEYTRK@... writes:

Joe Lofink

Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.

L.E. Hardee

If you have already put oil into the cylinders, you might let it soak in a day or two to loosen any stuck rings.  If it is firing some, you might try cranking the starter with 12 volts to spin the engine faster.  You can leave the ignition and all other electrics on your 6v battery and just use a jump box or jumper cables directly to the starter. Just don't engage the solenoid!  Remember to put positive to the ground.  I have cranked a whole lot of old 6v tractors with 12 volts when their compression was too low to hit on 6 volts starting power.  It is not real good for the bendix and flywheel because the starter slams in hard but if only done occasionally should not cause a problem.  Once you get it started and running for a while, the rings should reseat and compression will be normal again. 

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos@...> wrote:
Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.

Gabriel Haddad

Condensers are cheap. I learned that lesson too.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 11:34 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim Bollman

Good idea, I have heard of a lot of bad condensers since most are coming from China now. I chased an intermittent miss on my FarmOroad for over a year till someone told me to try swapping in a new condenser and that took care of it.

Jim...

On Sep 2, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

Condensers are cheap. I learned that lesson too.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 11:34 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bryan Thomas

Check the condenser..

Sent: 3/09/2018 3:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Engine won't start

Joe Brownsberger

What Gas are you running? Your timing seems far to advanced if your using low octane fuel. 12 degrees BTDF would be better for octane close to 100. It might be a possible vacuum leak as well.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 4:37 PM Bryan Thomas <bthomas@...> wrote:
Check the condenser..

------ Original Message ------

Clell

Carefully try towing it.  That is often the secret to get some difficult engine running, especially after sitting a long time.  Have had engines that have sat for over 20 years that would fire but not keep running.  After pulling to get the engine running for the first time it always started with the battery.  It is almost like the starting system takes so much juice that there isn't enough to make the engine run.  Towing avoids that problem.

On 9/2/2018 9:20 PM, Joe Brownsberger wrote:
What Gas are you running? Your timing seems far to advanced if your using low octane fuel. 12 degrees BTDF would be better for octane close to 100. It might be a possible vacuum leak as well.

Check the condenser..

Richard Williams

First I would make sure that it was wired right. The front most should be #1 then counter clock wise with the rest. Its easy to get the wires in clock wise. Remove the cap and with power on turn over the engine watching to see if it sparks the points every time they open.

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:41 PM, Clell <cballard@...> wrote:

Carefully try towing it.  That is often the secret to get some difficult engine running, especially after sitting a long time.  Have had engines that have sat for over 20 years that would fire but not keep running.  After pulling to get the engine running for the first time it always started with the battery.  It is almost like the starting system takes so much juice that there isn't enough to make the engine run.  Towing avoids that problem.

On 9/2/2018 9:20 PM, Joe Brownsberger wrote:

Check the condenser..