Topics

engine serial number

Mike S

I was looking for, but didn't find, a list of the engine serial numbers by year.  The motor in our 48 1/2 is 43151 (w/ cast block).  Any idea when it was made?
Mike S

Jim Bollman

There is no direct date of manufacture vs motor number list that we have found. The range of engine numbers for 1948 were 1/48 to 1/49 - 28804 to 62725. The "New Look" 48 1/2 begins with #CC46175 with the last being around CC-61256 for around 15,000 48 1/2 which was roughly half of the 48 production. So a good guess is engine numbers for 48 1/2 started around engine number 45700 give or take. yours is close if your Crosley is an early 48 1/2 it could be the original engine converted from CoBra to CIBA block. Best we can tell the 48 1/2 production started sometime in June of 1948 even though it was announced earlier.

Confused yet?

Jim...

On Jul 1, 2019, at 5:53 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

I was looking for, but didn't find, a list of the engine serial numbers by year.  The motor in our 48 1/2 is 43151 (w/ cast block).  Any idea when it was made?
Mike S

Saltsgaver, Mike

Thanks for the information.  Our serial number is 47495.  With your comments in mind, it’s possible this engine may be a replacement rather than a conversion???

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Jim Bollman

Your SN still puts it as a June 1948 production, so still may be the original engine core. All 48s started life as the Tin CoBra engine.