Engine oil for hot weather.

Andy Farley

We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Jim Liberty

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

dale@servicemotors.net

Just run straight 30 wt.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Jim Liberty

Dale, no one can argue with you. ..........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 5:18 PM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
Just run straight 30 wt.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Dennis Terdy

Strangely, straight 30 wt leaks less, too.

Dennis

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
Just run straight 30 wt.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Jim Liberty

I could use less oil on the floor. My wife spreads newspapers on the garage floor. When the leak stops, you are in trouble.    ......Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Dennis Terdy <dennis.terdy@...> wrote:
Strangely, straight 30 wt leaks less, too.

Dennis

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
Just run straight 30 wt.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

dale@servicemotors.net

Yes they can Jim.   Lol

On Jul 8, 2021, at 8:28 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I could use less oil on the floor. My wife spreads newspapers on the garage floor. When the leak stops, you are in trouble.    ......Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Dennis Terdy <dennis.terdy@...> wrote:
Strangely, straight 30 wt leaks less, too.

Dennis

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM dale@... <Dale@...> wrote:
Just run straight 30 wt.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Jim Bollman

I also use Valvoline Racing 20W-50 in my Crosleys and have for years. I find it looses less oil and keeps the oil pressure up better.

Jim...

On Jul 8, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in all my cars. I'm in So. Cal.     ........Jim.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

David Stubenvoll

Andy, I also use Valvolene racing oil in all of my older cars. It has the highest zinc content that is available, which greatly helps the longevity of vintage engines. Mobile, Penzoil, STP, virtually all of the common oils on the market either reduced the amount of zinc in their products or eliminated it.

Butch

Sorry for being so late on this, I just returned from the Nationals, where the internet service ranged from lousy, to nonexistent.

I use and advise, 15w40, universal diesel oil. High in detergents, and dispersants and higher in ZDDP.

BTW, ZDDP, is most important for freshly rebuilt engines, during the seating and break-in period. After which, the importance diminishes.

Butch

On 7/8/2021 5:27 PM, Andy Farley wrote:
We are cooking here in California. Temps in the 90s and 100s. I'm just looking for advice on what the best oil would be for My 48 wagon with these temperatures. Any ideas?

Andy Farley

I went with the Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I was amazed at the fact that the oil pressure didn't drop even though it was 100 degrees Saturday when I was driving home from the car show. For that reason alone I will stay with the 20-50

Jim Liberty

My choice too. Mostly in air cooled cars, that run really hot. .................Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:11 AM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I went with the Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I was amazed at the fact that the oil pressure didn't drop even though it was 100 degrees Saturday when I was driving home from the car show. For that reason alone I will stay with the 20-50

Rich Childs

I run Wolf's head 20w50 or Castrol 20 w50 in my 2 cylinder Citroen, air-cooled.  Never lose pressure even on100 degree days.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 2:24 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
My choice too. Mostly in air cooled cars, that run really hot. .................Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:11 AM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I went with the Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I was amazed at the fact that the oil pressure didn't drop even though it was 100 degrees Saturday when I was driving home from the car show. For that reason alone I will stay with the 20-50

Jim Liberty

Rich, I love that car. Here is one I restored for myself.   ....Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 12:20 PM Rich Childs <rchilds76@...> wrote:
I run Wolf's head 20w50 or Castrol 20 w50 in my 2 cylinder Citroen, air-cooled.  Never lose pressure even on100 degree days.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 2:24 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
My choice too. Mostly in air cooled cars, that run really hot. .................Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:11 AM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I went with the Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I was amazed at the fact that the oil pressure didn't drop even though it was 100 degrees Saturday when I was driving home from the car show. For that reason alone I will stay with the 20-50

Rich Childs

Where are located Jim?  I have a 71 Citroen Dyane.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 7:36 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
Rich, I love that car. Here is one I restored for myself.   ....Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 12:20 PM Rich Childs <rchilds76@...> wrote:
I run Wolf's head 20w50 or Castrol 20 w50 in my 2 cylinder Citroen, air-cooled.  Never lose pressure even on100 degree days.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 2:24 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
My choice too. Mostly in air cooled cars, that run really hot. .................Jim.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:11 AM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I went with the Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I was amazed at the fact that the oil pressure didn't drop even though it was 100 degrees Saturday when I was driving home from the car show. For that reason alone I will stay with the 20-50

Attachments:

Jim Liberty

My shop is in Costa Mesa, CA.     libertymotorsports356.net    .......Jim.