Topics

? Engine

Kevin Church

Any body got any ideas what the double backwards S is on this engine. Also looks like an "X" block.

seb fontana

May I be the first to say that is a first? Well at least for me..Neat X makes about the 4th or 5th now known I think but have no idea at this time what the back wards SS maybe, well, Super Sport that someone didn't scratch backwards in mols so it would cast front wards? Just babbling!  Seb.

Tim Hamblen

Appears to be an industrial engine by the location of the Crosley name.

Kevin Church

my understanding of the crosley location on the block was because they changed the height of the top of the block

On Jul 10, 2017 5:28 PM, "Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io" <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Appears to be an industrial engine by the location of the Crosley name.

Jim Bollman

Not sure what the reason for the change in position but generally early cast iron blocks used in CoBra conversions had the name back. I have also seen some industrial engines with the block but it may just be when the pictures were taken.

Jim...

On Jul 10, 2017, at 6:33 PM, Kevin Church <klchurch59@...> wrote:

my understanding of the crosley location on the block was because they changed the height of the top of the block

On Jul 10, 2017 5:28 PM, "Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io" <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Appears to be an industrial engine by the location of the Crosley name.

CROSLEY19@...

That is a very early tin block replacement block. I have only seen about 10 of these. It is a flat top compression chamber.
Barry

Kevin Church

Thanks Barry. Any idea what it's worth?

On Jul 10, 2017 6:26 PM, "CROSLEY19 via Groups.Io" <CROSLEY19=AOL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
That is a very early tin block replacement block. I have only seen about 10 of these. It is a flat top compression chamber.
Barry

Kenn Cahill

I have an engine with the same Crosley name placement and the same "X" below the casting number. It does not have any other SS markings. The serial number on the block is very close. They were both in the low 10XXXX range. This puts them both in early CIBA production, probably 1949 or 1950. That would make them unlikely to be conversion blocks. However, the conversion blocks did have The Crosley logo in the same position. COBRA engines had serial numbers less than 100,000.
Kenn

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Bollman

They probably did make the earliest CIBA engines with the same placement but more were probably used in conversions since production dropped off so much in 49.

Jim...

On Jul 10, 2017, at 9:27 PM, Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...> wrote:

I have an engine with the same Crosley name placement and the same "X" below the casting number. It does not have any other SS markings. The serial number on the block is very close. They were both in the low 10XXXX range. This puts them both in early CIBA production, probably 1949 or 1950. That would make them unlikely to be conversion blocks. However, the conversion blocks did have The Crosley logo in the same position. COBRA engines had serial numbers less than 100,000.
Kenn

Sent from my iPhone

Kenn Cahill

You asked about the value of this engine. It is unusual and probably represents a small production run with some new characteristics, designated by the X cast into the block. The SS may have also represented some other aspect of an investigational change. However, it is not a particularly adventageous block for building a new engine.it is a curiosity worth preserving, but I doubt that anyone would pay any more for it than any other Crosley engine.

Sent from my iPhone