Topics

Distributor Question

Vespa Roberto

Dear Seb

I am Italian can you suggest me which distributor is mounted on the 1950 crosley engine or compatible distributor
thank you

Roberto Vespa

Jim Bollman

If I understand what you are looking for.

Crosley used two different distributors a Small Distributor - Auto Lite UGW-4181-C and a Large Distributor - Auto Lite IAD-40038 3F. There were also a couple of magnetos also used for military use and are intended for a constant speed, one is belt driven the other goes in the same hole as the distributor. After market racing magnetos were offered by a couple of companies, expensive and hard to find. 

I don't know of any other compatible distributors. You can get a replacement distributor from one of our Crosley parts suppliers like Service Motors, Dave Edwards, or Yankee Crosley. http://crosleyautoclub.com/PartsSuppliers.html 

JIm...

On Jan 30, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Vespa Roberto <info@...> wrote:

Dear Seb
I am Italian can you suggest me which distributor is mounted on the 1950 crosley engine or compatible distributor
thank you
Roberto Vespa

aeropower2

Crosley used two different distributors a Small Distributor - Auto Lite UGW-4181-C and a Large Distributor - Auto Lite IAD-40038 3F.

-----Original Message-----
To: Crosley-Gang <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jan 30, 2020 7:06 am
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Distributor Question

Dear Seb
thank you
Roberto Vespa

dkduster70@...

Is there anyone that can clarify some information about the small and large distributors.
Are they interchangeable, and is there any advantage to using either a large or small one if they are interchangeable?
I have wondered about this, and it seemed relevant to this conversation.

seb fontana

I'd love to get my hands on a large distributor because it would be easier to get my fingers into it!!

Jim Bollman

I have never owned an engine with the big distributor and I don't know why it was made, but it sticks in my mind that it takes a bigger hole in the crankcase. There are not a lot of them around.

Hopefully someone knows more about the big distributor.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:56 AM, dkduster70 via Groups.Io <dkduster70@...> wrote:

Is there anyone that can clarify some information about the small and large distributors.
Are they interchangeable, and is there any advantage to using either a large or small one if they are interchangeable?

Butch

Nope Jim, same size hole, they are interchangeable. Be aware, the tune up parts, for the large distributor, are MUCH more expensive than the more common, small distributors.

I believe that they were used on some commercial engines. The racers liked them, supposedly they were more stable at speed, but I never checked one in my distributor machine, to verify that.

That said, they are easier to work on and as I recall, the points are a bit easier to set, also.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 2:59 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
I have never owned an engine with the big distributor and I don't know why it was made, but it sticks in my mind that it takes a bigger hole in the crankcase. There are not a lot of them around.

Jim Bollman

Thanks Butch. 

I know I saw a bare crankcase with a bigger distributor hole at Wauseon years ago, now I have no idea what it was, maybe someones experiment.

Jim...

On Feb 1, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

Nope Jim, same size hole, they are interchangeable. Be aware, the tune up parts, for the large distributor, are MUCH more expensive than the more common, small distributors.

I believe that they were used on some commercial engines. The racers liked them, supposedly they were more stable at speed, but I never checked one in my distributor machine, to verify that.

That said, they are easier to work on and as I recall, the points are a bit easier to set, also.

Butch

Butch

Yes, those are NICE, as they allow you to remove the distributor from the top, without dropping the oil pan.

They use an aluminum adapter, to go from the distributor size shaft, to the oversize hole.

I'm not exactly sure of there origin.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 4:09 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
Thanks Butch.?

I know I saw a bare crankcase with a bigger distributor hole at Wauseon years ago, now I have no idea what it was, maybe someones experiment.

Jim...

On Feb 1, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

Butch