Topics

Different styles of fan blades?

Mike S

When I pulled the engine in our 48 wagon for new bearings & ground crank, I noticed that the fan blades had been welded in the past, I assume because of cracks.  I wasn't pleased with this so picked up a used unit from one of our members.  First thing I noticed was the bracket was different, and the position of the blades relative to the centerline of the pulley is a little different.  The gap between the blades and the edge of the pulley is about 3/8" on mine and only 1/8" on the other.  The construction of the blades is different also.  I guess I'll trial fit it before replacing the bearings to make sure there are no issues.

What models would have a fixed fan with no belt adjustment?
Mike S

Jim Bollman

The tin block engines had the adjustment slot for the fan in the block instead of the fan bracket. Not easily used on a cast iron block.

On Feb 24, 2021, at 3:31 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

When I pulled the engine in our 48 wagon for new bearings & ground crank, I noticed that the fan blades had been welded in the past, I assume because of cracks.  I wasn't pleased with this so picked up a used unit from one of our members.  First thing I noticed was the bracket was different, and the position of the blades relative to the centerline of the pulley is a little different.  The gap between the blades and the edge of the pulley is about 3/8" on mine and only 1/8" on the other.  The construction of the blades is different also.  I guess I'll trial fit it before replacing the bearings to make sure there are no issues.

What models would have a fixed fan with no belt adjustment?
Mike S <2 fans.jpg><2 fans hubs.jpg>

Mike S

Can anyone confirm that 6202 is the correct bearing number for the fan blade assembly?  (it would be 6202 rs to get a grease seal on one side).