Topics

Decode a cobra engine

nadno1

Hello I found this engine complete in a barn in Iowa, the numbers on the starter side boss are 61564, the numbers under the generator are 205160,  I think the 61564 puts it late 48 early 49, the other numbers I am not sure of, also it has a plate over the fuel pump mount so can I add a fuel pump to this for sure, only intend to get it redone as a running display piece.

Thanks for any help.
Neal

I would say early 1949 by just making some guess on production of 49s before cast iron engines were put into production, very late CoBra. The number under the generator is a casting number, I never tried track crankcases to see if they changed the casting number or not.

Looks like it make a good display engine.

Jim...

On Apr 24, 2020, at 5:22 PM, nadno1 via groups.io <nadno1@...> wrote:

Hello I found this engine complete in a barn in Iowa, the numbers on the starter side boss are 61564, the numbers under the generator are 205160,  I think the 61564 puts it late 48 early 49, the other numbers I am not sure of, also it has a plate over the fuel pump mount so can I add a fuel pump to this for sure, only intend to get it redone as a running display piece.

Thanks for any help.
<20200424_151907.jpg><20200424_143447.jpg><20200424_151847.jpg><20200424_143515.jpg>Neal

nadno1

Jim, this engine was 100% complete, radiator to transmission, has good compression, making a stand for it and hope in time to have a running display piece, thanks for the help.
[...]

parkhunter@...

Nice looking engine. There are a few of us with running CoBras out here. Search YouTube for “Crosley CoBra” and you’ll come across some of my videos.

Before you start it, fill the block with water to see if there are any leaks. The water also provides a heat sink. The thin metal block heats up FAST and can be damaged quickly without water to soak up the heat.

If you do discover any pinhole leaks, some folks have had good luck with K&W block sealer. I chased a roundside pickup heading into Wauseon last summer with the tin block that was very, very sprightly. The owner told me later he’d treated it with K&W and had no problems.

As a running display engine, this will be a hoot at car shows!

Blessings,

Park