CT-3 information

ckstandifer@...

Hi,
My name is Casey Standifer.  I am new to the group and I'm looking for any information that I can find on the CT-3 jeep.  My Grandfather purchased a CT-3 at a sale that Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Aberdeen,Md) had approximately 50 years ago.  I drove this around when I was a kid and was able to obtain it once my Grandfather passed away.  My main question is that this jeep has a Crosley 4 cylinder engine installed.  Everything that I have read about this states that all 37 that were produced had a 2 cylinder engine.  I am fairly certain that my Grandfather did not install this engine and it is how it came directly from the military sale at APG. Would anyone know if a prototype 4 cylinder was ever done to help improve the lack of power that they had?

Thank You,
Casey Standifer

crosleyshortsport

Casey, I am not sure what a CT-3 is, though I am familiar with the 2 cylinder Waukasha engine in the pre-war Crosleys. It was 12 h.p.  I am more familiar though with the post war Crosley engine. 4 cylinder, 44 cubic inch, 26 h.p.  The post war engines are plentiful.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020, 11:17 AM <ckstandifer@...> wrote:
Hi,
My name is Casey Standifer.  I am new to the group and I'm looking for any information that I can find on the CT-3 jeep.  My Grandfather purchased a CT-3 at a sale that Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Aberdeen,Md) had approximately 50 years ago.  I drove this around when I was a kid and was able to obtain it once my Grandfather passed away.  My main question is that this jeep has a Crosley 4 cylinder engine installed.  Everything that I have read about this states that all 37 that were produced had a 2 cylinder engine.  I am fairly certain that my Grandfather did not install this engine and it is how it came directly from the military sale at APG. Would anyone know if a prototype 4 cylinder was ever done to help improve the lack of power that they had?

Thank You,
Casey Standifer

L.E. Hardee

If it is an original CT-3, that is a rare vehicle.   Do you have any photos of it you can post?  Is the data plate still on it?  If so, what is the serial number?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM <ckstandifer@...> wrote:
Hi,
My name is Casey Standifer.  I am new to the group and I'm looking for any information that I can find on the CT-3 jeep.  My Grandfather purchased a CT-3 at a sale that Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Aberdeen,Md) had approximately 50 years ago.  I drove this around when I was a kid and was able to obtain it once my Grandfather passed away.  My main question is that this jeep has a Crosley 4 cylinder engine installed.  Everything that I have read about this states that all 37 that were produced had a 2 cylinder engine.  I am fairly certain that my Grandfather did not install this engine and it is how it came directly from the military sale at APG. Would anyone know if a prototype 4 cylinder was ever done to help improve the lack of power that they had?

Thank You,
Casey Standifer

Jim Bollman

Jeff the CT-3 is more commonly referred to as a Pup.

On Nov 24, 2020, at 11:34 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately the data plate is missing.  I will try to post pics within the next few weeks.  The engine is in my garage and the chassis is in another.

On Nov 24, 2020 11:40 AM, "L.E. Hardee" <hftsales@...> wrote:
[...]

If the government modified it officially I would expect the 4cyl to be tin block. They were being shipped to the military before the end of the war but after the Pup project had been rejected and maybe someone decided to try the modification. The cast iron version didn’t come out to 1949 so a conversion then would be unlikely unless it was just a project for some GIs messing around with WW-2 surplus. Looking forward to some pictures. Check out the engine motor number to the rear of the distributor/magneto on the crankcase. Maybe take a picture of the engine too.

On Nov 24, 2020, at 7:25 PM, ckstandifer@... wrote:

[...]

Doug Daniel

There was one Bull Pup prototype made.  Maybe that is the one you have?

On 24 Nov 2020, at 17:51, Doug Daniel via groups.io <sanfelipedoug@...> wrote:

[...]

It is definitely not a bull pup. It does not have the high hood.

On Nov 25, 2020 1:05 AM, "Doug Daniel via groups.io" <sanfelipedoug@...> wrote:
Here is info on the Bull Pup:  http://www.ewillys.com/wp-content/uploads2/2013/12/crosley-high-hood-cincinnati-history-museum1.jpg

[...]

Thanks Jim. That is really good information.

On Nov 24, 2020 7:46 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Attached are a few pics of the engine that was installed.  I will attach pics of the chassis next time I am at the garage.

On Nov 25, 2020 9:48 AM, ckstandifer@... wrote:
[...]

Looks even less likely that it was a government engine installation. It did start life as a sheetmetal engine, probably 1946 from the motor number, sometime in it’s life someone converted it to a cast iron engine block, which would have been 1949 or later. Looks like a GIs spare time project with WW-2 surplus. But you never know, Probably more practical with the 4cyl engine but more historic and valuable if it can be converted back. There are differences between the prewar 2 cylinder and the military version, mostly cosmetically but not an expert on that.

On Nov 26, 2020, at 11:46 AM, ckstandifer@... wrote:

[...]

<PXL_20201126_162539703.jpg><PXL_20201126_162246059.jpg><PXL_20201126_162231092.jpg><PXL_20201126_162213353.jpg><PXL_20201126_162029613.jpg>

ckstandifer@...

Thanks again Jim.  Based on the dates that you have given me confirms this wasn't a one off production vehicle.  The mystery will probably never be solved on how the engine was installed.  Any idea of the value of this if it was put back correctly?  I'm sure this is pretty hard to determine with so few around.  I would probably never get rid of it anyway for sentimental reasons.