Topics

Crosley wheels

Jerry and Kathy

I was given a couple of Crosley wheels for my Hotshot. When I got them home I noticed they were different in the hub offsets - one matches the ones that I have on the car - the other is totally different - Any idea what the odd one is off of?

When I lay a straight edge across the wheel and take the measurement from the hump by the edge of the hubcap cap and to the hole in the center these are the measurements I get
The one that matches the ones on my car measures approx 1/2" to the hump and 1 5/8" the the center hub hole
The other one measures about 1 1/2" to the hump and 2 1/2" to the center hub hole

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jerry

L.E. Hardee

Can you post a picture of the back side of the more recessed rim?  My initial thought is that someone removed the center hub, reversed it and welded it back in.  The bead width on the recessed rim appears wider and the hub appears to be attached further back on the drop center of the outer rim.

The Crosley style rims were used on many other applications other than the Crosley car, like trailer manufacturers.  I believe they were a purchased item, not made in house by Crosley.  The rim manufacturer may have sold rims for another use that required more of a recess.  Speculation on my part if your deep dish rim is factory made this way and not modified.

The deep wheel would look great on the rear of a VC Crosley.  The stock rim looks lost in the wheel opening on the rear of a HotShot or Super Sports.  Bringing the tire closer to the rear fender would improve the appearance in my opinion.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:39 PM Jerry and Kathy <jkmcc@...> wrote:
I was given a couple of Crosley wheels for my Hotshot. When I got them home I noticed they were different in the hub offsets - one matches the ones that I have on the car - the other is totally different - Any idea what the odd one is off of?

When I lay a straight edge across the wheel and take the measurement from the hump by the edge of the hubcap cap and to the hole in the center these are the measurements I get
The one that matches the ones on my car measures approx 1/2" to the hump and 1 5/8" the the center hub hole
The other one measures about 1 1/2" to the hump and 2 1/2" to the center hub hole

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jerry

Jerry and Kathy

Here are a couple of pictures of the back of the recessed wheel as requested
I also noticed this one does not have the 2 rivets at each point where the hub meets the outer rim.

crosleyshortsport

In reference to the wheels looking nicer on a Super sport, At one time, club member, Jim Oliver made up several sets of very well made spacers for the rear hubs. I wad fortunate enough to purchase a set, and it really does make a big difference with handling and looks.